This article is shared with permission from our friends at Fitlife.tv.
By Kavata Kithome
I recently fell in love with avocado; this was during my transformation, when I realized how much better everything was with avocado. I went crazy for avocado for a while there, putting it in everything from my morning smoothies to every snack, lunch and dinner.
Aside from all the wonderful gifts that avocado offers like healthy fats, fiber, potassium, vitamin E, folic acid and the B vitamins, avocado for me enhanced every single food I put it in.
My only qualm with it was that it got brown too quickly.
I went looking for ways to extend the ripeness of my avocado and help it keeps its firmness and amazing yellow-green color.
I would leave the pits in, but still after a day my avocado would turn brown. I tried all the different tips out there like using plastic wrap on the surface and using lemon juice, but none of them worked. After a day or two my avocado would still have a brownish green film that I had to scrape off before consuming – YUCK!
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
But now, I have found a GREAT TRICK to keep avocado and guacamole from turning brown:
Put the avocado halves face down into a ½ – inch pool of water inside an airtight container, close the lid and put it in the fridge. Your avocado will stay green for up to 3 days.
It’s that simple! And it WORKS!
You can also use this trick for after you’ve made your avocado into guacamole:
- Put your guacamole in an airtight container, be sure to pack it tightly and press all air bubbles out.
- Sprinkle ½ inch of lukewarm water over the surface of your guacamole.
- Put the lid on and put it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
***When you are ready to eat, just pour out the water and stir the guacamole to mix in any extra moisture.
I am also going to share my guacamole recipe that I know you will love, just in case you are in need of a delicious new recipe to try.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- Begin by mashing avocado. I like mine smooth and creamy, so I use a food processor or hand-held mixer for a smooth finish. You can also use a fork or potato masher for a more chunky finish.
- While mashing, add in lime, cilantro and garlic for added flavor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing thoroughly to ensure everything is combined.
- Serve and enjoy!
Do you have a great avocado recipe you would like share? Do you have any sure fire tricks to keep your avocado green and firm? Share in the comments below.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!