This basil turkey burger slider recipe will be your new favourite go-to recipe for the warm summer days ahead. These ultra lean turkey burger sliders won’t leave you feeling overly full and bloated like traditional fatty beef burgers so you can comfortably don your favorite summer wear.
They are made with a mix of wild and brown rice, an egg, some sharp parmigiana-reggiano cheese (not mandatory!) and sandwiched between two sweet potato slices.
These sliders are filled with healthy complex carbs, which means you will feel full and satisfied after your meal and won’t constantly be reaching for desserts and other snacks.
Turkey Burgers: A Healthy Alternative
Turkey is a leaner meat than beef but doesn’t compromise its protein content. This Thanksgiving bird is also loaded with B vitamins (B6 and B12), which play a role in your body’s energy production.
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at leavesandbubbly.com.
Basil Turkey Burger Sliders
Prep time: 15 -20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of wild, brown or mixed rice
- 1 pound of organic, free range ground turkey
- 1 free range, organic egg
- Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil, chopped finely
- dash of sea salt and pepper
- handful of red pepper flakes *optional
- 1/3 cup of grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese *optional
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Start off by cooking the rice according to the directions (I used a blend of wild, brown and basmati, but feel free to use whichever one you prefer).
- While the rice is cooking, slice up your sweet potato in decently thin disks, like I would say 2 cm’s thick so they cook up evenly. Keep the skin on for extra nutrition!
- Throw all the sweet potato disks in a large bowl and coat evenly with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- On a baking sheet lay our the sweet potato disks, making sure they are not over lapping (you’ll probably have to use 2 sheets).
- Throw the sweet pot’s in the oven and then make sure your rice isn’t burning. When the rice is done and there is not water left take off the element and set aside.
- Set the timer on your oven for 45 minutes, this is how long the sweet potato disks will take. Note: You have to turn them after 20 mins.
- In a large bowl, dump in all of the turkey burger ingredients except the egg ( cooked rice, turkey, cheese (if using), basil and red pepper flakes).
- Mix together & then add the egg and mix again.
- Next, form the turkey burger mixture in to small balls and press them down. Note: The patties should be the same size as the sweet potato disks so that they fit in it.
- Heat up a pan with olive oil and then cook the turkey burgers until any pink is gone flipping half way through should take about 10 minutes.
- Take the sweet potato tops out of the oven and load em up!
- Add the turkey burger on top of one disk and top with the other (like a bun).
- I used hummus, lettuce, sprouts and organic ketchup and hot sauce.
- Serve and be amazed at how healthy and satisfying this recipe is.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!