If you’re quick to reach for the medicine cabinet when experiencing aches and pains, you could be unnecessarily damaging your long-term health for short-term pain relief. There is a spice that has been used by some civilizations for thousands of years that offers a much healthier, more natural solution. It could already be sitting in your pantry!
Turmeric can reduce pain and support healing, and when consumed on a regular enough basis, you can start to build the foundations for an all-around healthy body. But how does it work so effectively, and why is a better alternative than conventional over-the-counter medicine? More importantly, how can you start using turmeric in your day-to-day to eradicate pain?
Stop Taking Ibuprofen!
Every day, millions of people around the world will turn to the ‘solutions’ that Big Pharma has cooked up and sold to the world. Pills such as ibuprofen have become almost routine for a lot of people, who will turn to these addictive, and potentially damaging medications at even the slightest twinge of pain, hoping to numb any unpleasant sensations quickly.
However, late last year, the FDA announced moves to increase warnings on drug labels for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). They said a change was needed to indicate that taking these drugs can lead to an increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
Over the counter drugs that have these associated consequences include pain relief and fever reduction medications. The most common example, of course, being Ibuprofen. These serious side-effects could occur as early as just the first few weeks of taking these medications, “There is no period of use shown to be without risk.” the researchers confirmed (2).
Plus, the longer you take any of these medications for, the more your risk increases (2). Included in their warning is to avoid taking more than one product contains NSAIDs at any one time, and to always follow instructions about dosages on the packaging.
Isn’t it interesting how there are so many medications that are supposed to be helping the body to heal that warn about taking too many? How good for your body can they really be if a certain dose can cause you significant harm?
Start Taking Turmeric
Used for thousands of years as a medicinal ingredient, particularly prominent in Traditional Chinese Medicine, people have known about the health benefits of this root for a long time. It is only with the dawn of clever advertising and, of course, Big Pharma, that people have forgotten about the short and long-term benefits of natural solutions to medicinal issues.
Too many people look for quick-fixes in the form of artificial pills, rather than treating pains and aches with ingredients provided by the earth. Turmeric can help literally hundreds of health conditions including heartburn, stomach pain, diarrhea, liver problems, and many more.
Why does turmeric work so well? It’s all down to its chemical make-up.
The main active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin is a powerful antioxidant. Importantly for pain reduction, curcumin is a fantastic anti-inflammatory. It works against both visible and invisible inflammation. It works by reducing the numbers of inflammation-causing enzymes in the body. This essentially helps to ease the body’s response to inflammation and relieve the pain caused by it.
Various studies, including one published in ‘The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine,’ concluded that turmeric can be used as an alternative to ibuprofen for osteoarthritis (4). All this, thanks to the chemical compound curcumin, contained within turmeric.
Turmeric also contains a lot of polyphenols, a range of antioxidants, which have been shown to have over 600 health benefits (6). The research on these essential compounds in relation to physical health have been well studied over the past decade. This research supports the role of polyphenols in preventing degenerative diseases, particularly cardiovascular diseases and cancers.
Not only does it help to reduce pain, but it does so much more, supporting the body to grow and develop in the best possible ways.
How Should You Take Turmeric?
Turmeric is an incredibly versatile ingredient. You can purchase turmeric powder from most supermarkets or health food stores and add it to the food and drinks you consume throughout the day to help stay topped-up on turmeric. It’s a very popular spice used in Indian curries, and can also be used to create delicious Golden Milk.
You could also try taking it in supplement form. Many people find this a much easier option, as they don’t have to adapt any cooking to support the inclusion of turmeric, and it is quickly and easily swallowed. It is always worth checking the labels of these to ensure you are buying the highest quality, most natural supplements.
You should aim to consume turmeric on a daily basis, this way you can support your body and keep it running healthily, rather than relying on pills further down the line should something go wrong.
The best thing about turmeric is just how available and affordable it is! So, reject the pills that Big Pharma constantly tries to push onto us, and start enjoying life naturally pill-free! And… even if turmeric isn’t your thing, you can try this wearable acupressure aculief which is a natural alternative to medication to make sure you have no excuses for not eliminating your pain today!
1. Use Turmeric Before Ever Swallowing Ibuprofen Again! – DavidWolfe.com. DavidWolfecom. 2016. Available at: https://www.davidwolfe.com/use-turmeric-for-pain/. Accessed September 26, 2016.
2. FDA Strengthens Warning of Heart Attack and Stroke Risk for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs. FDAgov. 2015. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm453610.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery. Accessed September 26, 2016.
3. Ashton M. What are Turmeric & Curcumin Good for? |. LIVESTRONGCOM. 2015. Available at: http://www.livestrong.com/article/404629-what-are-turmeric-curcumin-good-for/. Accessed September 26, 2016.
4. Kuptniratsaikul V, Thanakhumtorn S, Chinswangwatanakul P, Wattanamongkonsil L, Thamlikitkul V. Efficacy and Safety of Curcuma domestica Extracts in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2009;15(8):891-897. doi:10.1089/acm.2008.0186.
5. Scalbert A, Johnson I, Saltmarsh M. Polyphenols: antioxidants and beyond. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2005;81(1):215S-217S. Available at: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/215S.full. Accessed September 26, 2016.
6. Use Turmeric Before Ever Swallowing Another Ibuprofen Again – Complete Health and Happiness. Complete Health and Happiness. 2015. Available at: http://complete-health-and-happiness.com/use-turmeric-before-ever-swallowing-another-ibuprofen-again/?t=SOE. Accessed September 26, 2016.
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily: