I wish that I could just go to the store, walk straight to the health food aisle, pick up anything and know for certain that it would be good for me. That would be insanely awesome.
But sadly, it’s just not the case. As some consumers have grown more health conscious, food companies have seen an opportunity, not to help you, but to profit from you. Here are five foods you shouldn’t be eating, no matter how healthy they claim to be.
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
Healthy Food Imposters: The Unhealthy, Health Foods
- Agave Nectar – sounds cool and trendy and natural but it’s just straight up sugar. In fact, it has a higher concentration of fructose than sugar and is best avoided.
- Vegetable Oils – they may seem like your friend because they’ve been shown to lower cholesterol levels, but canola, grapeseed, and soybean oil may increase your risk of heart disease and cancer. Stick to olive oil and butter when possible.
- Fruit Juice – fruit is good, right? Not in this case. In many juices the fruit has been stripped of its nutrients and you are left drinking just the sugar. In the worst juices you’re not drinking any real fruit at all, just sugar water with a touch of chemical fruit flavour.
- Fat-Free and Low-Fat Anything – if the fat has been removed, sugar has almost certainly been added. While some products may have fewer calories overall, a larger percentage are empty, meaning you get hungry faster and end up eating more. Plus, the removal of fat involves a ton of extra processing.
- Processed Organic Snacks – companies are jumping on the organic bandwagon by replacing, for instance, sugar with organic cane sugar. This “organic” alternative is no better for you, in any way. It’s just a marketing ploy.
Sadly, eating a healthy diet is harder than it should be. Don’t fall victim to the deceit. They’re after your money, not your heart.
To read the full article, visit Eat Local Grown
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!