If you thought canola oil was one of the “good” oils, think again. Although marketing campaigns position it as healthy, and it’s popular because of its low price, this is one oil that isn’t doing your body much good – as holistic health websites have been warning readers for many years. New reseearch has now confirmed that use of canola oil has a negative impact on your brain health, and more.
Memory loss is not an inevitable and natural part of aging! There are specific steps you can take now that can help reduce your risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s. And diet plays a very big role.
Scientists Elisabetta Lauretti and Domenico Pratico conducted an experiment in 2017, where they examined the effects of canola oil on mice, to see what impact it has on health such as memory, due to the olive oil diet implemented in Mediterranean countries. They tested this theory out by giving one group of mice the canola diet while the other group had a controlled diet. At the end of the study, Lauretti and Pratico concluded that the canola diet had a drastic effect on rats in that it weakened their memories.
Why Canola Oil is Not a Healthy Choice
The Mediterranean diet (7) that they refer to in their study consisted of daily consumption of fruits and vegetables as well as the frequent use of olive oil. Health experts say the diet has shown a tremendous record of reducing one’s likelihood of getting cardiovascular diseases as well as metabolic syndrome. The diet is also said to have improved peoples cognitive functions.
Non-Mediterranean countries were impressed by the results and wanted to promote this diet in their jurisdiction, but because olive oil is more expensive compared to other cooking ingredients, these countries were looking to see whether canola oil can be seen as a good replacement. However, because there was limited evidence showcasing the health benefits derived from the diet, Lauretti and Pratico ultimately suggested that the canola oil diet is not a viable replacement for the olive oil diet.(1)
A major takeaway from Lauretti and Pratico’s study is that one’s dietary habits play an important role in overall behavior and functionality and in the case of Alzheimer’s, it is one health professionals should pay close attention to. (It is also important to note that Lauretti and Pratico’s study is inconclusive because it has not been tested on humans as well as the fact that more research needs to be taken.)
The Truth About Canola Oil’s “Nutritional Value”
Though the verdict is still officially out on the link between canola oil and memory loss, if you’re still unsure about incorporating canola oil in your diet, here is some important information you need to know:
High Processing Kills Nutritional Value
Canola oil, also known as rapeseed is extracted through the processes of bleaching and degumming, which involves chemical substances like sodium hydroxide, as well as temperatures that are set at questionable degrees.
Omega-3 to Omega-6 Ratio Promotes Chronic Inflammation
The oil contains a mixture of omega 3- and omega 6. Omegas 3 are nutritional antidotes meant to help the body from inflammation and other diseases, while Omegas 6 are fatty acids that cause inflammation. Proponents for the canola oil diet argue that because it contains Omega 3 then it is healthy for the body, but further research shows that an imbalance of Omega 6 and 3 can cause excessive inflammation leading to risk of getting diseases like diabetes, arthritis, cancer and Alzheimer’s.(6)
Eating any dietary meal that consists of canola oil can also result in high damage to one’s body and cell tissues such as the brain, especially if vulnerable to heat and light. (4)
Diseases Linked to Canola Oil
- Problems in the Kidney and Liver – 90% percent of canola oil that is produced and extracted is genetically modified and research from the Environmental Science journal shows that one of the major causes of kidney and liver problems is due to diets that contain GMO foods.
- Heart problems- Canola oil contains erucic acid in it and when one consumes too much of it, they have a higher chance of suffering from heart problems such as Keshan disease and coronary heart disease.
- Hyper-extension and Strokes- Studies have shown that ingesting any meal that consists of canola oil increases and enables the likelihood of one to suffer a stroke, sooner than expected. Research from Ottawa in the Nutrition and Toxicology division when experimenting with rats, showed that rats that were fed canola oil died sooner while rats living a canola oil free life lived sooner.
- Stops growth- children who are exposed to canola oil in their everyday meals are likely to face a stunt in growth due to the erucic acid’s struggles to immediately break down once it’s inside your system. (3)
With that being said, some healthy oils you should consider as a replacement are coconut oil, butter, olive oil and avocado oil. For more information read about it here.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!