By Shahzadi Devje – an award winning media Dietitian, writer, speaker, recipe creator and Resident Nutritionist for ReverseD – the first diabetes TV reality show. Check out her blog, and follow her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for more.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Vegetarian Kebabs
Perfect for times when your pantry is low in ingredients and you just need something quick and simple. That’s often a Wednesday or Thursday for us – a time when we’re hunting for lunchbox ideas for the next day. This vegetarian kebab recipe is packed with protein and rich in flavour! Vegan and gluten free.
We’ve been experimenting in the Devje household with a variety of pulses; pigeon peas and black beans being a few of our family favourites. I find, preparing them in advance is a guaranteed way to use them more often in our meals. It then feels so easy, with meals done in 30 minutes (or less!). And we look for creative ways to use them, so we never get bored: in salads, wraps, hummus, soups, buddha bowls and so much more.
After my last success with the pumpkin bean burger, I had to try another spin. This one is our lunchbox favourite, especially with 3 VERY active kids who are always hungry! It’s moist, flavourful and filling.
The secrets to save time…
Boiling the beans the night before and cooking the sweet potato in the microwave make it a cinch the next day! I simply use the pressure cooker to boil the beans – without salt. Just avoid over cooking them, otherwise, the kebabs won’t bind. I scrubbed and pricked the potato several time with the tines of a fork and cooked it for 7 minutes in the microwave. Yours may need less or more time, depending on your microwave settings.
IzaanAli, our youngest devours tender sweet potatoes, so this was indeed a treat! Filled with so much goodness, sweet potatoes are bursting with amazing vitamins, minerals, and fibre. Sounds good? It gets better: with sweet potato having 10 times more vitamin A than regular white potatoes.
Just look how well the ingredients bind together. The kebabs did not fall apart when pan fried, despite the addition of tender sweet potato. Pan-frying the burgers in a bit of oil creates a scrumptious, crispy outside, that is sure to hook you!
Here are 5 ways we enjoy these vegetarian kebabs:
- Use them in wraps with tahini spread or chili avocado mash
- In a sandwich – our go to, for kids’ lunches
- Crumbled on a quinoa salad
- Alongside roasted or grilled veggies
- With tender sliced avocado, a crisp bed of greens, and fermented mixed vegetables (my favorite)
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Vegetarian Kebabs Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 sweet potato, large, baked
- 2 cups black beans, boiled (not too soft)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup coriander, fresh
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 onion, small, finely chopped
- Lemon juice, fresh
- Remove the sweet potato skin and mash the flesh with a fork. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the beans, oil, and water.
- In a large bowl, add the bean mixture, mashed potato, rest of the ingredients and mix well. Ensure the ingredients are combined.
- Divide the mixture into 10 portions and form into kebabs.
- Place on hot oiled grill or pan over medium-low heat and cook for about 3-4 minutes a side or until heated through.
- Serve with freshly squeezed lemon juice
Perfect for times when your pantry is low in ingredients and you just need something quick and simple. That’s often a Wednesday or Thursday for us – a time when we’re hunting for lunchbox ideas for the next day. These vegetarian kebabs are packed with protein and rich in flavour! Vegan and gluten free.
How do you enjoy beans?
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)