Do you get as excited about Taco Tuesdays (and Wednesdays and Thursdays and Fridays, you can see where we’re going with this) as us? Whether you need appetizers or a main dish, tacos are almost always a hit among family and friends, and can be a great vegetarian meal option.
These tacos use portobello mushrooms to make vegetarian tacos… hearty, easy, and absolutely delicious!
Why Use Portobello Mushrooms?
Portobello mushrooms belong to the cremini family which may seem strange if you do a size comparison. This is because smaller cremini mushrooms are harvested younger. Mushroom farmers allow their portobellos to grow more than four inches in diameter before they send them off for our mushroom taco dinners! (1)
If you’re searching for a healthy and less heavy option, these mushrooms are the way to go. One of these things is not like the other, but portobellos do measure up! (1) Many restaurants even use the “meaty” alternative in place of meat burgers on their menus.
Portobello Mushroom Nutrients
Portobellos’ size and unique texture aren’t its only attributes, they’re highly nutritious, too. We’ve highlighted its stacked nutrient list below: (1,2,3)
- Macronutrients, e.g., carbs, protein, and low levels of fat
- High in fiber which is beneficial for weight maintenance and helps control cholesterol and blood-sugar
- They’re big in size but small in calories (i.e., a 100g serving is just under 30 calories)
- Phosphorous which helps strengthen your bones and reduce muscle soreness
- It’s B vitamins promote the formation of red blood cells, energy production, and nervous system function
- Electrolyte mineral potassium aids muscle contractions, protein synthesis, nerve function, and acid-alkaline balance
- The antioxidant compound selenium which is necessary for the thyroid and male reproductive system to function, and protects your cells (i.e., from heart disease, some cancers, and age-related diseases)
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Vegetarian Tacos with Portobello Mushrooms (Recipe)
- 4 portobello caps, stems removed, gills scraped out and discarded
- olive oil
- tamari sauce
Preparing the Mushrooms:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently wipe mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel. Place mushrooms on baking sheet.
- Drizzle each one with olive oil and tamari, spreading around evenly with clean hands. Flip
- mushrooms and repeat on other side. Place cut side down on baking sheet and bake in oven for
- 20 minutes. Flip and place in oven for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside
- to cool.
Makes 2 cups
- olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- chipotle powder to taste
- 1 398 ml can of black beans
- 1 cup organic, fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Preparing Taco Filling
- Place cast iron sauté pan over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Add onion and spices.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until onions become very soft and brown. Add remaining ingredients.
- Sauté until fully combined and hot. Taste. Adjust seasoning. Remove from heat and set aside.
Pico de Gallo
- 2 vine tomatoes, diced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 small handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Add salt to taste.
Assembling Your Vegetarian Tacos
- 4 baked portobellos
- taco filling
- pico de gallo
- plain, greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 avocado, mashed with a squeeze of lime juice
- 4 lime wedges to serve
What to Do:
- Flip portobellos so they are smooth side down on baking sheet.
- Scoop 1/4 cup taco filling into
- each mushroom cap.
- Place portobellos on a serving platter and top each one with a spoonful of
- Pico de gallo.
- Add a dollop of greek yogurt and a spoonful of mashed avocado. Serve with lime wedges while warm.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!