Want to try something different for your next special family breakfast? Getting bored of classic flour pancakes? Next time you want to treat the family (or yourself!) to an amazing wake up, try looking in the fridge for ingredients, instead of in the pantry.
Yep, you read that right. Give a traditional morning treat a healthy twist, by starting your day off right with sautéed veggie pancakes. Similar to potato pancakes known as latkes, these healthy treats are made with sweet potatoes and packed with zucchini and carrots, which makes them just that much better for you (check out some of the health benefits below!)
Between prep and cooking time, these morning pancakes take less then 30 minutes to make, which is exactly the kind of low-effort food you want to wake up to. Pare them with an amazing fruit-filled smoothie or a delicious green juice, and you’re looking at all of the vegetables and fruits you need to kick-start your day.
Zucchini-Sweet Potato Veggie Pancakes
- 1 cup sweet potato with skin on
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1 cup yellow squash and/or peeled carrots)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Non-dairy cream, applesauce, or freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- 1. In a large bowl, mix together the grated veggies, eggs, flour, and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. It’s important that the heat not be too hot or too cool, because you want the pancakes to cook all the way through the middle by the time they’re brown on the outside. When the oil is hot, drop pancake-size dollops of the veggie mixture into the pan, without overcrowding. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bottom starts to brown. Flip and cook until browned on both sides, then repeat until the batter is gone.
- Transfer cooked pancakes to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm by tenting with foil or placing in the oven on the lowest setting.
- Serve warm with a topping of sour cream and applesauce or Parmesan cheese.
Sweet Potato Health Benefits
Sweet potatoes are packed with a lot more vitamins, and a lot less calories then their regular potato cousins. They’re a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C and fiber, and they’re a great way to start off the morning.
Zucchini Health Benefits
Zucchini is a type of summer squash that’s an amazing low calorie vegetable. It’s a great source of vitamin C, which is a water-soluble antioxidant that protects your cells from free radicals and cellular damage.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!