Do you remember the first time you tried to lose weight? It’s an impactful experience because it does not take long before you discover what you like and dislike, or even what works or doesn’t work! For some people working out comes naturally while for others, their strengths lie in the kitchen. In almost every case, trying to find that balance between healthy lifestyle habits and healthy food choices is where many people falter.
One of the biggest reasons for that is because we see countless individuals finding success in certain diets and workout routines. But once you try it, it fails to produce the same or similar results. You must realize, however, that this isn’t necessarily your fault. Instead, it speaks to the beauty and diversity of the human body – your human body.
This Is Exactly What 6 Women Ate to Lose 50+ Pounds
So, we’ve put together a list of women and their unique journeys to show what they ate on a typical day and help illustrate that ‘healthy’ looks different from person to person. You just have to find what ‘healthy’ looks like for you!
Work with Your Body’s Needs, Not Against Them: Jodi Friedman’s Story
44-year-old Jodi transitioned into a low-carb, high-protein diet after fighting through weight gain caused by polycystic ovary syndrome and insulin resistance. To date, she has lost 70 pounds.
“It’s important to find a nutritionist who understands your health issues and supports your needs.”
- Breakfast: a protein bar with 20 grams of protein or more, plus a banana on workout days
- Lunch: tuna salad with a side salad of mixed greens and tomatoes with aged balsamic vinegar
- Snack: cucumber slices with a tablespoon of hummus
- Dinner: salmon or crockpot chicken with a side of spinach or avocado
- Dessert: kid-sized cup of frozen yogurt
Don’t Do It Alone: Jennifer Finney’s Story
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
After her husband’s doctor warned 41-year-old Jennifer about her weight, she sensed she had a make a change. With her husband’s help, she has been able to lose 80 pounds (and counting) thanks to a plant-based, whole-foods diet.
“We went from a diet of processed foods, fast food, and dining out two or three times a week to a whole-food, plant-based diet. We went all-in from day one, and the weight started melting off.”
- Breakfast: rolled oats with almond milk, peanut butter, and pure maple syrup
- Post-workout snack: green smoothie with spinach and frozen fruit
- Lunch: Kale salad with hummus and rice vinegar, topped with fresh cucumbers, red peppers, and chickpeas or lentils
- Afternoon snack: apples with peanut butter
- Dinner: a Pad-Thai inspired dish using spaghetti squash instead of pasta
- After-dinner snack: a piece of fruit
Well-Being Is a Journey, Not a Destination: Petrina Hamm’s Story
Weight loss wasn’t really a priority for 43-year-old Petrina, but that changed when she took on the Atkins diet with her sister. However, now she eats a more balanced diet (as you can see below) and has lost 100 pounds.
“[Take] it one day at a time. Too many people devote too much focus to the end game.”
- Breakfast: a healthy “cheese Danish”—made by mixing egg with cream cheese, sweetener and a dash of cinnamon—along with bacon or sausage
- Lunch: salad with full-fat blue cheese dressing, bacon bits, and diced chicken
- Dinner: steak with steamed broccoli and butter
- Snack: homemade sugar-free peanut butter cup
THS Editor Note: you may want to skip the cream cheese for breakfast, perhaps use her breakfast as inspiration to have an eggs and organic meat with some greens!
It’s Never Too Late to Make a Change: Whitney Herrington’s Story
You know when people ask you if you feel different a day after your birthday, and the answer’s usually no? Well, it’s 29-year-old Whitney’s thirtieth birthday that has sparked her desire to finally start losing weight. After sticking to a low-carb and high-fat eating plan, she has been able to lose 65 pounds.
“I had been overweight my whole life, and I was determined not to go into my 30s fat!”
- Breakfast: fruit smoothie with some spinach or kale and a scoop of protein
- Snack: low-sugar granola bar
- Lunch: jerk chicken with homemade cauliflower rice
- Dinner: baked chicken with broccoli and brown rice
- Snack: ¼ cup of unsalted and unroasted peanuts or cashews
If You Have to Get Technical, Do It: Anne Jongleux’s Story
At 56-years-old, Anne has been through calorie counting, elimination diets, and more. But now she has something that works for her – a predominately paleo-style diet. With a combination of lean proteins, fresh produce, and healthy fats, Anne has dropped 80 pounds.
“[Weighing foods and counting calories] was great for helping me readjust my ideas of portion size, but impractical for a daily lifestyle.”
- Pre-workout breakfast: coffee and a banana or two dates covered in coconut
- Post-workout breakfast: coffee, a bowl of fruit, and two poached eggs
- Lunch: an apple with two tablespoons of almond butter and a few sticks of celery
- Snack: a stalk of bok choy and a carrot
- Dinner: Cobb salad with a few tweaks (turkey instead of ham and bacon; hold the cheese and croutons; oil and vinegar on the side)
- Snack: cucumber slices or pickles
Small Changes Can Lead to Big Results: Christian Ohonba’s Story
For 30-year-old Christian, a simple shift in perspective changed her life. The moment she started treating food as her fuel instead of a prize, the pounds – all 70 of them – started melting away. Though her journey has not been an easy one, Christian uses a calorie counting and food journaling to help hold herself accountable.
“I live with the philosophy that weight loss sparks greatness in all areas of life.”
- Breakfast: salmon and potato hash
- Snack: pineapple dairy-free yogurt
- Lunch: burrito with ground turkey, black beans, and bell peppers
- Snack: tuna packet
- Dinner: steak with broccoli
Now It’s Time for Your Story
See? Sometimes healthy can still include a bit of bacon and chocolate! Whether you’re currently trying to find a healthy balance in your life or would like to start your journey soon, we hope their stories help spark some change in your own life.
Exactly What I Ate to Lose 50 Pounds. (2017, February 01). Retrieved September 29, 2017, from https://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/exactly-what-i-ate-to-lose-50-pounds
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!