For many people, the main reason to seek out a cleanse is to lose weight. However, cleanses only make you lose weight temporarily, as water weight is lost, along with the harmful toxins cleanses remove.
That being said, detoxes are still a great way to hit the restart button and jump start healthy eating. Just be sure to do it in in a way that is safe and effective. Here’s the right way to do it:
The right way to detox
Our bodies are constantly being bombarded by toxins. From the products we use, the clothes we wear, to the air we breathe: we are surrounded by harmful toxins that can become stored in our bodies. The beauty about our bodies is that they are constantly trying to clean and detox themselves – that’s the way they have been built! You have our ‘organs of toxic elimination’ to thank for that: the lungs, kidneys, colon, skin and liver.
Unfortunately, with there being more toxins in our environments than ever before, our bodies can quickly get overwhelmed. This is called the ‘barrel effect’. From Waking Health:
Think of your body like a barrel. The barrel has a certain amount of room to hold toxins before it starts to “spill over.” The total load that fills the barrel consists of: past and present physical, chemical, and biological contaminants found in food, air, water, products, and the environment as well as the emotional state of the individual. All of these factors (environmental, dietary, genetic, and emotional/psychological) accumulate over time to have an effect on your health.
You take this quiz to see just how badly you may be in need of a detox:
Start by addressing your environment
Image source: https://www.edf.org/health/where-are-toxic-chemicals-your-home
- The first step is simple – get rid of the toxins around you that are making you sick, fat and tired.
- While it may be difficult to avoid air pollution, you can still control the air that is in your home. For example, did you know that specific plants can literally clean and filter the air that is in your home?
- When it comes to other pollutants in your home, look no further than the products in your bathroom cabinet or underneath your kitchen sink. The conventional products that we use and expose ourselves to are filled with harmful chemicals that can leech into our bodies and make us sick.
- Instead of your regular moisturizer, try coconut oil or a homemade all-purpose cleaner instead of a name brand filled with ingredients you can’t pronounce.
The power of cleansing foods
The next thing you need to do when it comes to a successful detox is use the power of food!
The right foods give our bodies the ability to flush harmful toxins that may be stored in our bodies, including the fat cells.
The human body has five primary detox organs: lungs, skin, colon, kidneys, and liver. Each one of these organs works every day to fight the toxins we come in contact with. If we allow them to be bombarded with toxins constantly, we leave ourselves vulnerable to disease and even death!
A lot of these toxins get stored in our body fat because our bodies are not able to process them and effectively flush them from our system. By using the right kinds of food to support detoxification, we can more efficiently eliminate toxins that have the power to disrupt our metabolism and upset our hormonal balance, leading to weight gain.
So, what are the best foods to eat to detox your body? Simple: soups, juices, and herbs. We scoured every recipe we could find to present to you the most effective cleansing recipes:
Here are some great soup recipes that you can use to boost your body’s natural detox abilities. They all include ingredients that you can conveniently purchase at any grocery store, are relatively quick and painless to make, and are delicious!
Watercress Soup (Link)
- Watercress is a powerful herb that works to boost the lungs naturally ability to detox itself and cleanse our respiratory tracts.
Turmeric Broth Detox Soup (Link)
- Turmeric is one of the most powerful super spices that we can use for healing. Try using your own bone broth for this recipe for added health benefits.
Watercress, Spiced Tomato, Chickpea soup (Link)
- Your skin is your largest organ and it’s the entry point for a lot of toxins to get into our bodies. This soup contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which makes it an excellent way to protect against all those toxins that work their way in.
Spiced Kale, Beetroot, Fennel Soup (Link)
- While kale might seem to be everywhere, there’s no denying how good it is for your health. When it comes to you skin, kale helps fight harmful free radicals with its powerful antioxidant properties.
Avocado Sweet Potato Soup (Link)
- One of the best ways to moisturize is from the inside out! Avocado is full of healthy fats that work by keeping your skin healthy, which can help protect you against toxins trying to get in.
Sweet Potato Leek Soup (Link)
- Our colons are one of the most powerful organs that detox our bodies. Keep it running smoothly with foods that are rich in fibre and prebiotics, like this sweet soup recipe!
Prune Soup (Link)
- Chances are you know how well prunes can help you detox your colon, but I bet you’ve never had them like this!
Turmeric Kidney Detox Soup (Link)
- Our kidneys are another major player when it comes to a full body detox. Turmeric and lemon are the stars in this spicy (and delicious) detox soup recipe, making it an ideal diuretic!
Broccoli Detox Soup + Beet Detox Soup + Sweet Potato Detox Soup (Link)
- Our livers produce bile which breaks down body fat that can harbor toxins. By stimulating the liver’s detox abilities with these three soups, we can lose belly fat and flush the harmful toxins in our bodies.
Juices and Drinks
Apple Ginger Lemon Juice (Link)
- This 3-ingredient juice is the perfect balance of sweet and tart with a great ginger kick for toxin-free lungs!
Oregano Apple Juice (Link)
- Oregano is a powerful herb when it comes to detoxing your lungs, and it is the star of the show in this easy-to-make juice.
Berry Peppermint Juice (Link)
- When it comes to your skin, antioxidants are your best friend. When you combine that with the benefits of mint, this juice is one of the best things you can drink to help flush your skin of toxins.
Green Tea Berry Juice (Link)
- Green tea is one of the most powerful antioxidant-rich foods around. Combining that with your favorite berries makes it not only delicious, but great for your skin. Make it without the Greek yogurt for a light, tasty drink.
Apple Kale Juice + ground flax seeds (Link)
- Adding ground flax seeds to this juice boosts your colon’s abilities to flush toxins and leave you feeling lighter than before.
Mint Cucumber Kale Juice (Link)
- If you want to shake things up, you can try ground psyllium husk in your juice. We love it mixed with this minty and refreshing mint and cucumber juice.
Apple Cider Water Kefir (Link)
- A key to great colon health is the right balance of healthy bacteria in your gut. This is our favorite recipe for kefir, full of natural probiotics that your gut will love.
Lemon Ginger Kombucha (Link)
- Not a fan of kefir but still want to help your gut? Try kombucha! You can make your own at home and add whatever flavors you like, but the combination of zingy lemon and spicy ginger is our favorite.
Beet Carrot Ginger Juice (Link)
- Your colon loves beets, and rightfully so! The same antioxidant that gives beets that deep red color is the same antioxidant that helps power your colon’s detox abilities.
Watermelon-Ginger Juice (Link)
- Looking for a great drink to help cleanse your kidneys? This combination of watermelon and ginger are great for flushing out your kidneys and get them running on all cylinders.
Cucumber Parsley Juice (Link)
- Parsley is one of the most powerful herbs when it comes to detoxing. Help cleanse your body of heavy metals with this refreshing parsley juice.
Celery Apple Ginger Juice (Link)
- With over a dozen antioxidants, celery is a great vegetable to have in your corner when it comes to a colon cleanse.
Dandelion Green Juice (Link)
- Dandelion isn’t just a common weed, and it’s ability to help detox your body always surprises people when they first try it. Try it fresh in this juice recipe and thank us later.
Jerusalem Artichoke Kale Apple Juice (Link)
- Jerusalem artichoke may sound unfamiliar, but once you try it you’ll be hooked! Another favorite of your liver, this sweet juice recipe is just what you need to help flush your liver.
Herbs and Spices
Specific kinds of herbs and spices can also be tremendously effective at helping cleanse the body – and you don’t have to only include them in juices or soups!
You can add cleansing herbs and spices into fresh salads, stews, meat dishes, curries, and more – the possibilities are endless! They are a great way to add more flavor to your cooking without relying on salt for taste.
Here’s a list of the best herbs and spices for detoxing your entire body:
- Dandelion root
- Milk thistle
- Cayenne Pepper
You may find that a lot of these herbs and spices are actually crucial superfoods – conveniently found in an effective detox program like this one.
Making sure the results STICK
The last step in a successful detox is to make sure you don’t make the same mistakes you made before! How do you achieve that? By not taking on too much all at once. Start slowly and build gradually.
Reduce the amount of pollutants in your home by cleaning out the products in your cupboards and shelves. Look for products with ingredients you don’t recognize. Chances are, if you don’t know what it is, neither does your body! On the flip side, make sure to stock your fridge and pantry full of the ingredients you need to stay clean. The recipes mentioned in this article will keep you and your family full and healthy for years to come. In the end, remember to make sure you give your body the right tools it needs to take care of itself, take care of your health, and to run as optimally as possible. You can’t drive a car with a broken wheel.