Something rare happened at the White House on May 13, 2026. While President Trump was abroad on a state visit to China, Vice President JD Vance took the podium inside the Eisenhower Executive Office Building and delivered a set of announcements that could reshape how Medicaid operates across every state in the country. The message was direct: comply with federal anti-fraud requirements or lose federal money. All 50 states are now on notice.
Medicaid is not a small program. Total Medicaid medical services expenditures reached $971.4 billion across all states and territories in federal fiscal year 2025, up 6.9 percent from the year before. It covers tens of millions of Americans, about 75 million low-income Americans in total, including many who are at least 65 years old. A program this large, administered through a patchwork of state agencies and thousands of private providers, is always going to attract bad actors. The question at the center of the current political conflict is not whether fraud exists, but how aggressively it should be pursued, who decides what counts as fraud, and what happens to vulnerable patients when federal funding is used as a compliance lever.
Those are not abstract policy questions. They are practical ones, with real consequences for real people. And they are becoming more urgent by the day.
The May 13 Announcement: What Vance Actually Said
Vice President JD Vance announced Wednesday that the Trump administration is withholding $1.3 billion in Medicaid payments to California and is threatening to suspend federal funding to all states if they don’t aggressively prosecute fraud in their Medicaid programs.
Vance said the administration is also notifying all 50 states that it could freeze funding to their Medicaid Fraud Control Units “if they do not aggressively prosecute Medicaid fraud.” Those units, which exist in each state, investigate and prosecute Medicaid provider fraud. “We are going to turn off the money that goes to these anti-fraud units,” he warned, adding that if problems persist, other Medicaid program resources could follow.
The announcement was made at the White House alongside HHS Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and CMS Administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz. President Trump announced a “War on Fraud” during his State of the Union address in February and named Vance as the head of a new task force to carry it out. Vance has led the task force since it was formalized in March.
The administration’s rhetoric drew a clear partisan line. Vance acknowledged that both red and blue states pursue fraud aggressively, but said, “We can’t protect Medicare if the states administering those programs are allowing those programs to be fleeced by fraudsters.” He singled out Hawaii and New York by name, saying billions had been taken from Hawaii’s Medicaid system, but that state administrators “just don’t take it seriously.”
The California Deferral: $1.3 Billion on Hold
Vice President JD Vance announced new steps in the Trump administration’s initiative to root out fraud in federal health programs, including a $1.3 billion deferral in Medicaid reimbursements to California. CMS Administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz provided the breakdown, citing $630 million in billing questions, $500 million in home health service concerns, and $200 million in what he characterized as questionable expenditures linked to coverage for undocumented immigrants.
As part of his role as the fraud czar, Vance said the administration is targeting California because the state isn’t taking fraud seriously. “These fraudulent health care providers are getting rich by giving people medications they don’t even need,” Vance said during the White House event, adding that taxpayers and program beneficiaries are victimized by such fraud.
The move is similar to the one the administration took in February suspending Medicaid payments to Minnesota. The administration said it would hold off on paying $259.5 million to Minnesota for Medicaid spending in the fourth quarter of 2025, and Minnesota’s subsequent lawsuit challenged the withholding of $243 million of that sum.
What Are Medicaid Fraud Control Units?
The threatened freeze on Medicaid Fraud Control Unit (MFCU) funding is significant because these are the primary state-level mechanisms for prosecuting healthcare fraud. MFCUs investigate and prosecute Medicaid provider fraud as well as abuse or neglect of residents in healthcare facilities and board-and-care facilities. They operate in each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
MFCUs are funded jointly by the federal government and states. Each MFCU receives a federal grant award covering 75 percent of its operating costs. Most MFCUs are organized as part of the state attorney general’s office, and employ teams of investigators, attorneys, and auditors.
In 2025, Medicaid fraud control units reported 1,185 convictions for fraud nationwide, and combined recoveries from criminal and civil cases totaled about $2 billion. The administration’s threat, then, is to cut the funding of the very units already doing the fraud-fighting work, as a penalty for states it deems insufficiently aggressive.
The forms of fraud these units pursue are varied. Common schemes include “phantom billing,” which means billing Medicaid for services never actually delivered, double-billing for the same procedure, and upcoding, which means charging for a more expensive service than the one actually provided.
The Minnesota Precedent: Legal Challenge and Budget Fallout
The situation in Minnesota provides the clearest preview of what the administration’s strategy looks like in practice, and of the legal and fiscal complications it creates. This latest attack on Minnesota’s Medicaid program began on January 6, 2026, when the Trump Administration announced that more than $2 billion annually would be withheld from Minnesota’s Medicaid funding based on vague assertions of Minnesota’s “noncompliance” with Medicaid regulations. The administration said it would hold off on paying $259.5 million to Minnesota for Medicaid spending in the fourth quarter of 2025, and Minnesota’s lawsuit challenges the withholding of $243 million of that money.
Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison and the Minnesota Department of Human Services filed a federal lawsuit against the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for illegally attempting to withhold $243 million in Medicaid payments from the state of Minnesota. The lawsuit names the Department of Health and Human Services and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services as well as Dr. Mehmet Oz, in his official capacity as CMS administrator, and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in his official capacity as HHS secretary.
Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said his office has a strong track record of fighting Medicaid fraud, having won more than 300 convictions and $80 million in judgments and restitutions during his time in office. “Trump’s attempts to look like he’s fighting fraud only punish the people and families who most need the high-quality, affordable healthcare that all Minnesotans deserve,” Ellison said.
The practical consequences for Minnesota residents are real. The funding freeze primarily affects people relying on 14 programs flagged as fraud-susceptible, including autism services for children, a housing stabilization program, and non-emergency medical transportation. Core Medicaid services such as physician visits and checkups do not appear to be affected at this point.
The threatened cuts amount to roughly 7 percent of Minnesota’s quarterly Medicaid funding, and if these cuts are allowed to take effect, Minnesota could be required to significantly scale back healthcare services for low-income families across the state or other government services.
Minnesota’s legal complaint points out that its Medicaid payment error rate in 2025 was 2 percent, far below the national average of 6 percent, and argues that the state is being politically targeted. Independent data from the Georgetown Center for Children and Families confirms that finding: Minnesota maintained its low overall improper payment rate of 2.2 percent in reporting year 2025, which is well below the national rolling rate of 6.12 percent.
The Medicare Enrollment Freeze: A Separate Prong
The funding threat to states is only one element of the administration’s May 13 initiative. In coordination with Vice President JD Vance’s Anti-Fraud Task Force, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is taking decisive action to protect Medicare beneficiaries and taxpayer dollars through implementation of a six-month, nationwide data-driven moratorium on new Medicare enrollment for hospices and home health agencies.
The freeze will not affect existing providers currently serving Medicare patients. During the six-month moratorium, CMS will expand data-driven investigations, use advanced analytics, and accelerate the removal of providers suspected of fraud.
The geographic data behind that decision is striking. In Los Angeles County, CMS reported more than 40 percent growth in the number of home health providers flagged as suspicious between 2019 and 2023. In California overall, hospice provider numbers grew 126 percent across the same period; in Nevada, the rise was 151 percent.
Recent CMS action, undertaken in coordination with Vance’s task force, has already included the suspension of payments to 773 hospices and 23 home health agencies suspected of fraud in Los Angeles alone, representing $70 million in suspended funds thus far.
Earlier in 2025, CMS also suspended $5.7 billion in suspected fraudulent Medicare payments by leveraging advanced analytics, cross-agency coordination, and law enforcement partnerships.
The Fraud Numbers and What They Actually Mean
The administration’s enforcement campaign is built around the argument that fraud is widespread and chronically under-prosecuted. The scale of the underlying financial exposure is not in dispute. According to CMS’s fiscal year 2025 improper payments fact sheet, the Medicaid estimated improper payment rate was 6.12 percent, or $37.39 billion, compared to the FY 2024 rate of 5.09 percent, or $31.10 billion.
But the definition of “improper payment” is substantially broader than fraud, and that distinction matters enormously for evaluating the administration’s claims. Of the FY 2025 Medicaid improper payments, 77.17 percent were the result of insufficient documentation, which is generally not indicative of fraud or abuse. In other words, the majority of flagged payments involve administrative errors, such as a missing signature, an incomplete record, or a documentation gap, not intentional theft.
CMS itself is explicit on this point: “improper payment measurement is not a measure of fraud, and not all improper payments are attributable to fraud or abuse.” Improper payments are those that do not meet program payment requirements and can include overpayments, underpayments, or payments where insufficient information was provided to determine whether a payment was proper.
Independent health policy analysts note that in Medicaid, as in private health insurance, fraud that does exist is overwhelmingly committed by providers, not program enrollees. That nuance has been largely absent from the administration’s public framing of the issue.
Credibility concerns have also emerged around the administration’s data. In April, CMS acknowledged to the Associated Press that it made a significant error in figures it used to help justify a fraud probe in New York. The acknowledgment deepened doubts about the administration’s methods and raised the concern that it tends to attack first and confirm the facts later.
Read More: What You Must Know Before Signing Up for Medicare in 2026
The Political Dimension: Fraud as Leverage
Health policy experts have been vocal about the legal and procedural precedents being broken. Experts say the actions by the federal government to withhold and defer funding break precedent with how fraud is normally handled. “Of course there is fraud against the Medicaid program, not just in Minnesota, but in every state, just like there’s fraud against the Medicare program, and fraud against commercial insurers,” said Andy Schneider of the Georgetown Center for Children and Families.
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities argues the administration’s approach is “demonstrably different, relying on an unprecedented use of two different CMS authorities to put massive amounts of federal funding at risk, severely threatening critical health services for people in need.”
Critics say that weaponizing claims of fraud to vilify immigrants and withhold funding from Democratic-led states undermines the legitimate goal of program integrity.
Vance, a potential 2028 White House hopeful, has used the high-profile assignment from Trump to remind Americans struggling with high costs that he is trying to claw back taxpayer dollars. He has promoted the task force’s work during campaign stops for Republican candidates and is expected to focus on the effort Thursday in Maine, where closely watched primary races are scheduled for June 9.
Capstone analysts noted in a research note that the administration’s fraud takedown is likely to remain more of a threat than a tangible concern, adding that withholding the funding would be deeply unpopular with both voters and vulnerable Republican lawmakers, further entrenching the narrative that Republicans have no health care policy aims other than to cut services.
At-Risk Populations: Who Bears the Consequences
Whatever the politics, the populations most exposed to funding disruptions are among the most vulnerable in the country. More than 5 million Americans benefit from government-funded home care, aimed at keeping low-income people with disabilities and frail older people living in their own homes and communities rather than in institutions.
The Trump administration says there is a significant fraud problem tied to home and community-based services, nonmedical transportation, and behavioral health. CMS is now asking states to immediately “revalidate” providers it claims are “high risk,” requiring providers to prove they remain eligible to participate in Medicaid and bill the program.
The government designated about 6.12 percent of annual Medicaid payments as improper in fiscal year 2025, worth $37.39 billion. Yet more than three in four of those improper payments resulted from insufficient documentation, which is generally not indicative of fraud or abuse.
Medicaid provides health insurance to 1.2 million Minnesotans who would otherwise be unable to afford it. Cutting funding and jeopardizing home and community-based services will profoundly affect Minnesotans of all racial and ethnic backgrounds.
Read More: UnitedHealthcare Is Dropping Prior Authorization for 30% of Services – Here’s What It Means
What This Means for You
The Trump administration’s Medicaid enforcement campaign, announced in detail on May 13, 2026, represents one of the most aggressive uses of federal funding leverage against state health programs in recent memory. Here is what the evidence shows, clearly and without overstatement.
Medicaid fraud is real and it costs billions. In a program that spends nearly $1 trillion annually, some level of fraud will always occur. The key question is whether it is widespread, systemic, or goes unpunished. The evidence suggests it is neither ignored nor systematically unpunished. The administration contends its vigorous fraud-busting efforts will help prevent wrongdoing in Medicaid and Medicare while preserving funding and resources for those most in need. But critics point to 1,185 convictions nationwide in 2025 and approximately $2 billion in combined criminal and civil recoveries as evidence that existing enforcement mechanisms were already doing meaningful work.
The administration’s choice to withhold funding from state fraud-fighting units as a penalty for insufficient fraud-fighting is a paradox that critics have been quick to identify, and that no administration spokesperson has yet resolved. If the goal is genuinely to root out fraud, cutting the budgets of the investigators is a strange way to get there. Experts say that if you are serious about dealing with fraud, “you have to have a collaboration between the federal government and the state.”
Finally, the distinction between improper payments and actual fraud is not a technicality. It is a foundational measurement question with direct implications for which states get targeted and on what basis. CMS’s own guidance is clear: “while fraud and abuse are improper payments, they are not synonymous; it is important to note that most improper payments are not attributable to fraud, and improper payment estimates are not fraud rate estimates.” Whether the mechanism of enforcement causes more harm than the fraud it seeks to address is the central question that will be answered in the courts, in state budgets, and in the daily lives of the 75 million Americans who depend on this program.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional financial advice, investment advice, tax advice, or legal advice, and is provided for informational purposes only. Always seek the guidance of a qualified financial advisor, accountant, or other licensed professional regarding your personal financial situation or investment decisions. Do not make financial, investment, or tax decisions based solely on information presented here. Past performance is not indicative of future results, and all investments carry risk, including the potential loss of principal.
AI Disclaimer: This article was created with the assistance of AI tools and reviewed by a human editor.