In order to make a cake, you need the basic ingredients – sugar, flour, eggs, butter, etc. For you, this might mean no cake because you may be avoiding animal products altogether, have allergies or intolerance to eggs and dairy, or maybe just worried about how healthy the piece of cake really is. This vegan chocolate cake is an absolute slam dunk!
Who does not like a good piece of chocolate cake? To be honest, if it were easy to resist, it wouldn’t be called chocolate cake, right?
What if I told you that you can still have that chocolate cake you are craving? Plus, it’s free from eggs and dairy and includes good healthy fat. Your eyes just lit up and your belly just did a happy dance!
The main ingredient in this cake is the super powerful avocado. Yes, you read that correctly. Baking with avocado. Avocado is the main ingredient in this cake; it will replace the eggs and dairy plus provide good fat in your diet.
Baking with Avocado: How To Use Avocado as an Egg or Butter Substitute
- First, remove the skin and pit.
- Scoop it into a food processor or blender and blend until it becomes a smooth puree. To keep the avocado puree from oxidizing (turning brown), add about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to each cup.
- 1 cup of avocado for 1 cup of butter. You may have to increase other liquids as the avocado does not melt like butter.
- For eggs in your baking, start by substituting 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup mashed avocado for each egg.
This lactose-free chocolate cake recipe is so amazing you may end up skipping dinner and eating chocolate cake instead.
Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 3 cups of almond flour
- 5 tablespoons of cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ cup of avocado or coconut oil
- 1 ripe avocado (blend until smooth)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 ½ cup raw cane sugar
- 2 ripe avocados (blend until smooth)
- 2 cups of confection sugar
- 6 tablespoons of cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 x 9” round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry cake ingredients except sugar.
- In another bowl mix all wet cake ingredients, once combined add the sugar.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and mix until cake batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- While cake is baking, mix all frosting ingredients in a bowl.
- Let cake cool 15-20 minutes before frosting.
Looking for more sweet vegan delights? Give these a try: