Skip to main content

Something has gone wrong in almost every major American conflict. Equipment lost, costs buried, and the human toll disclosed only when outside pressure forces the truth into the open. Operation Epic Fury, the U.S.-Israeli military campaign against Iran that launched on February 28, 2026, is proving no different – and the picture emerging from Washington right now is significantly more damaging than anything the Pentagon has publicly acknowledged.

For weeks, official statements described a largely clean air campaign: targeted strikes, minimal American casualties, strategic success. Then, last week, a nonpartisan congressional report blew a hole in that narrative. The numbers it revealed – in aircraft lost, personnel killed and injured, and taxpayer dollars spent – tell a story the Defense Department has made no effort to tell for itself.

The gap between the official version and what the data actually shows is the story. And the people absorbing the real costs of that gap are American servicemembers, American families, and American taxpayers.

A Congress Doing the Pentagon’s Job

The U.S. Department of Defense has not released a full official accounting of combat losses from Operation Epic Fury. Instead, congressional researchers compiled the figures using Pentagon statements, CENTCOM briefings, and media reports.

The unclassified report from the Congressional Research Service, released May 13, 2026, provides the first comprehensive government accounting of aircraft attrition during Operation Epic Fury, the aerial bombing campaign against Iran that began in late February and is currently operating under a tenuous ceasefire.

At least 42 U.S. military aircraft have been lost or damaged during the Iran war, according to the Congressional Research Service. The lost or damaged aircraft include fighter jets, helicopters, and drones. Among the losses are four F-15E fighter jets, one F-35A fighter, one A-10 ground-attack aircraft, seven KC-135 aerial refueling aircraft, one E-3 airborne early warning-and-control system aircraft, two MC-130J special operations aircraft, one HH-60W combat search-and-rescue helicopter, 24 MQ-9 Reaper drones, and one MQ-4C Triton drone.

The CRS report said the toll could still rise because of classification restrictions, ongoing combat activity, and unresolved attribution of losses.

The Aircraft That Can’t Be Replaced

Understanding what’s on that list requires a sense of what some of these platforms actually do – and what their loss means in practical terms.

The E-3 Sentry is a powerful airborne command post as well as a surveillance platform. It can track around 600 targets at one time, from aircraft to missiles to large drones and even tanks on the battlefield. Personnel aboard the E-3 can pass that information down to commanders in theater, to ships at sea, or back to the Pentagon in real time. Controllers aboard the aircraft can also direct interceptor fighter jets to incoming threats or send attack aircraft to support ground troops under fire.

The United States suffered its first-ever combat loss of a Boeing E-3 Sentry after an Iranian missile and drone strike destroyed an E-3G at Prince Sultan Air Base on March 27, 2026. The loss of the AWACS is “a serious blow to surveillance capabilities,” said CNN military analyst Cedric Leighton, a former U.S. Air Force colonel who has flown on the aircraft. “It can potentially impact the ability to control combat aircraft and vector them to their targets or protect them from engagements of hostile aircraft and missile systems,” he said.

The E-3 Sentry fleet has no easy replacements ready for service, and the nearest replacement, the E-7 Wedgetail, is projected to cost $700 million. The first E-3 aircraft joined the Air Force fleet in 1978, and the U.S. fleet has shrunk from 32 aircraft in 2015. Losing even one aircraft from a fleet that small carries consequences that ripple across every operation it supports.

The MQ-9 Reaper drone losses are similarly sobering. Twenty-four MQ-9A Reapers were destroyed, and General Atomics has fewer than 10 replacements available after closing the production line in 2025. These are not interchangeable parts. A Reaper can cost upwards of $56.5 million apiece. Twenty-four of them gone – and no easy pipeline to replace them.

The Incident Nobody Wanted to Talk About

Three U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagles went down over Kuwait on March 2 during Operation Epic Fury. U.S. Central Command confirmed the incident and said it was an “apparent” case of friendly fire, with the fighters shot down by Kuwaiti air defenses. The F-15Es were engaged in “active combat” against Iranian aircraft, ballistic missiles, and drone strikes. CENTCOM said all six aviators – three pilots and three weapons systems officers – were recovered and are in stable condition.

Losing three advanced combat jets to an ally’s air defenses in a single night is the kind of event that warrants public scrutiny. What followed compounded the loss.

In addition to the F-15E fighters lost to enemy fire in April, the U.S. lost an A-10 Thunderbolt II and two MC-130J Commando II special operations aircraft, which were intentionally destroyed on the ground in Iran during the search-and-rescue operation that followed. One search-and-rescue helicopter, an HH-60W Jolly Green II, also sustained damage from small-arms fire during the mission.

Early in the war, a KC-135 refueling tanker flying in friendly airspace in Iraq crashed, killing all six crew members aboard. Another tanker was involved in the same incident and made an emergency landing. The cause of the crash is still under investigation, but initial intelligence reports suggested the pilots may have been trying to evade anti-aircraft fire from Iran-backed militias.

The Human Cost Behind the Numbers

The U.S. military confirmed 13 combat-related deaths across the region. Those 13 lives deserve to be understood individually, not as a statistic.

Six service members were killed in a crash of a U.S. refueling aircraft over Iraq on March 12. Three of the six were members of the Ohio Air National Guard assigned to the 121st Air Refueling Wing at Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base, and the other three were assigned to MacDill Air Force Base in Florida.

Another of the 13 service members killed was among six who died when an Iranian drone struck an operations center at a civilian port in Kuwait. Sgt. Benjamin N. Pennington, 26, from Glendale, Kentucky, was injured during an attack on March 1 at Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia and died from his injuries on March 8, the Pentagon confirmed.

On the wounded side, the picture has been murky from the start. Amid a fragile ceasefire, the Pentagon was playing a numbers game with American casualty statistics. On the day the ceasefire between the Trump administration and Iran took effect, the tally of U.S. dead and wounded was 385. Despite a pause in hostilities, the number had slowly risen to 428 – yet then, without public explanation, 15 wounded-in-action troops were removed from the count, dropping the total to 413.

The Intercept’s reporting on Iran war casualty undercounting documented the discrepancy in detail. The Defense Casualty Analysis System’s own pages listed conflicting figures on the same day, with one showing 372 troops wounded in action and another showing a lower grand total – both updated on April 8, 2026.

For readers tracking the economic and health toll of the Iran war, the casualty accounting problem isn’t a bureaucratic footnote. It’s a direct window into who is and isn’t being counted when the price of war is tallied.

The Real Price Tag?

The cost figures coming out of Washington are a moving target – and depending on which source you trust, they span a remarkable range.

Pentagon acting comptroller Jules Hurst testified to Congress this month that the estimated cost of military operations in Iran had reached $29 billion. That figure, however, is disputed.

The true price tag of the Iran war is closer to $50 billion, U.S. officials familiar with internal assessments told CBS News, roughly double the public estimate the Pentagon cited in congressional testimony. In testimony on Capitol Hill, a Pentagon official placed the cost of Operation Epic Fury at about $25 billion, a figure that did not fully account for damaged or destroyed equipment or U.S. military installations.

An independent analysis went further. Stephen Semler, a senior fellow at the Center for International Policy, produced a cost estimate for the Popular Information newsletter. Accounting for armament use, troop deployments, and other factors, Semler estimated that the U.S. government spent $71.8 billion on the Iran war over the course of 60 days, an average of $1.2 billion per day.

According to Mark Cancian, a senior adviser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies’ Defense and Security Department, replenishing advanced missile and interceptor stockpiles could take several years and require substantial funding. The Pentagon’s current budget request includes more than $70 billion for missile procurement and related systems, representing a nearly threefold increase over the previous year.

The gap between what Pentagon leadership said publicly and what internal assessments reportedly show is not a rounding error. It’s tens of billions of dollars – and the full accounting hasn’t even been completed yet.

The Toll on Iran

Any honest accounting of this conflict has to include what happened on the other side.

At least 3,468 people have been killed in U.S.-Israeli attacks on Iran since February 28, according to Iran’s Ministry of Health. The victims were aged between eight months and 88 years. They included seven infants, 376 children, and 496 women. More than 26,500 people have been injured, including at least 4,000 women and 1,621 children.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi posted the CRS report on social media, claiming it showed that Iran had successfully challenged American air superiority and had learned critical battlefield lessons during the conflict. “Months after initiation of war on Iran, US Congress acknowledges loss of dozens of aircraft worth billions,” Araghchi wrote. “Our powerful Armed Forces are confirmed as first to strike down a touted F-35.” The reported losses come amid growing uncertainty over whether the fragile U.S.-Iran ceasefire can hold. In recent days, Trump has repeatedly warned that Washington could launch fresh strikes if negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program fail, while Tehran has threatened retaliation across the region.

Read More: Trump’s “Greater North America” Plan: What It Means for Your Country

What This Means

A war fought at altitude, thousands of miles from home, can feel abstract. But the CRS report makes one thing concrete: the scale of this conflict is not what American taxpayers were told it was.

The Congressional Research Service itself noted that it remains unclear how the losses may affect the Defense Department’s “ability to meet current operational requirements, maintain global force posture, and respond to unforeseen contingencies.” That’s the government’s own research arm expressing uncertainty about whether the U.S. military can continue meeting its global responsibilities after what it lost in roughly six weeks of combat.

For American families with loved ones in uniform, the questions are more immediate. The casualty undercounting documented by multiple outlets, the Pentagon’s conflicting figures, and the absence of an official comprehensive accounting all mean that the human cost of this war is still not fully visible. Advocates say that transparency – not just on aircraft losses but on every wounded and killed service member – is the minimum standard families deserve.

For everyone else, the fiscal reality is now landing hard. In the second week of the Iran war, the Pentagon told lawmakers in a classified briefing that the first six days of the war cost roughly $11.3 billion, an average of $1.88 billion per day. Three independent estimates now peg the real 60-day total somewhere between $50 billion and $72 billion – and none of those figures account for long-term costs like veterans’ care, debt interest, or the economic ripple effects of a closed Strait of Hormuz. The 42 aircraft in that congressional report aren’t just machines. They are an opening line in a ledger that is still being written, and American families, through taxes, through inflation, and through national debt, are the ones holding the bill.

Disclaimer: This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional financial advice, investment advice, tax advice, or legal advice, and is provided for informational purposes only. Always seek the guidance of a qualified financial advisor, accountant, or other licensed professional regarding your personal financial situation or investment decisions. Do not make financial, investment, or tax decisions based solely on information presented here. Past performance is not indicative of future results, and all investments carry risk, including the potential loss of principal.

AI Disclaimer: This article was created with the assistance of AI tools and reviewed by a human editor.

Read More: Trump Makes Odd Joke About Running for Israel PM, Says He Has ‘99% Support’ There