This article is shared with permission from our friends at Newhealthadvisor.com.
You experience leg cramps when the muscles in your leg contract involuntarily. You are more likely to experience cramps in the calf muscle of your leg. The main causes include dehydration, over-exercising, nerve irritation, and lack of key nutrients.
While you can improve your condition by trying stretching exercises, you can also make use of essential oils for relief. Using the right type of essential oil not only treats your leg cramps but also prevents them from happening.
Essential Oils for Leg Cramps
Here are some of the best essential oils to use for leg cramps.
1. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil has amazing medicinal properties and is effective against a number of mental and physical ailments. You can use it to relieve muscular spasms, sprains, cramp, and rheumatism. It also helps relieve stress which can be a contributing factor to spasms.
2. Thyme Essential Oil
You can massage your leg and ankle with thyme essential oil to relieve muscular spasms, pains, gout, and cramps. It is highly potent, so it is better to dilute it with some carrier oil and then apply to your skin. It is better to avoid it if you are pregnant or nursing.
3. Marjoram Essential Oil
It is among the most popular essential oils for leg cramps mainly because it has antispasmodic properties. Not only is it effective against muscular spasms, it is equally useful in the treatment of intestinal and respiratory cramps. It also creates a soothing effect on your nerves and makes you feel happy.
4. Wintergreen Essential Oil
Several studies have found that wintergreen oil has cortisone-like effects, which is the reason why it can relieve pain almost immediately. With its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties, it is an effective choice for anyone dealing with inflammation, swelling, and cramps. You should dilute it before use because it is very strong and can lead to skin irritation.
5. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties, you can rely on eucalyptus essential oil for the treatment of your leg cramps. Regular use of this oil helps prevent muscular spasms, cramps, and pain. You can also use it when you have fibrosis, rheumatism and nerve pain – it proves effective because of its potent analgesic qualities.
6. Fennel Essential Oil
With its antispasmodic properties, fennel essential oil is among the most beneficial essential oils for leg cramps. It also helps relieve pain caused by migraines and rheumatism. Many women have found it quite effective against menstrual pain and cramps.
7. Peppermint Essential Oil
Commonly used to deal with respiratory problems, peppermint oil can also relieve leg cramps because of its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties. Just massage it into your affected area for pain relief. It proves very effective when you use it to treat post-workout muscle cramps.
8. Ginger Essential Oil
It also has antispasmodic properties and is among the best remedies for muscular cramps and spasms. It also helps inhibit pain sensations and is helpful for people dealing with chronic knee pains.
9. Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
The antispasmodic properties of Roman chamomile come from its ester content. You can use it to deal with your muscle cramps, spasms, and pain. Many people have found it work quite well to treat colic.
These are some of the very best oils for leg cramps, but there are some other options too. You may get good results by trying cypress, basil, thyme, elemi, lemongrass, and vetiver oils.
How to Use Essential Oils for Leg Cramps
While essential oils prove effective in the treatment of leg cramps, you need to use them carefully. Here are a few things to remember.
- Under no circumstances should you be using essential oil without some carrier oil.
- Be sure to test the oil first to ensure your skin is not too sensitive for the oil.
Here are some ways to utilize essential oils for the treatment of your leg cramps.
Deep Tissue Massage Oil
What You Need:
- 10 drops each of peppermint, lavender, and marjoram oils
- 5 drops each of thyme and wintergreen oils
- 2 oz. of olive oil
- 4 oz. of dropper bottle
- Foot massage tool
- Add all the oils to the dropper bottle and mix well.
- Apply 5 drops to the affected area and then use any foot massage tool for five minutes to feel better.
What You Need:
- 5 drops each of marjoram and vetiver oils
- Half cup of shea butter
- A tablespoon of beeswax
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- 15 drops of peppermint oil
- 10 drops of lavender oil
- 8 oz. glass jar
- Double boiler
- Hand mixer
- Melt the shea butter, beeswax pastilles, and coconut oil in a double boiler and then set aside to cool down.
- Stir in other essential oils after 2 minutes and then transfer everything into a glass jar.
- Leave in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Once it becomes hard, you can use it as pain cream whenever you want.
What You Need:
- 5 drops each of lemongrass and wintergreen oils
- 2 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- 10 drops each of eucalyptus and peppermint oils
- A cup of distilled water
- 8 oz. of mist spray bottle
- Combine aloe vera gel and essential oils.
- Now, add some water to a spray bottle and mix the oils as well.
- Shake it well and spray on the affected area for relief.
Hot and Cold Compresses
What You Need:
- A bowl of hot water
- A bowl of cold water
- 3 drops of vetiver oil
- A washcloth
- Add 3 drops of vetiver oil to the hot water bowl and combine well.
- Soak a washcloth in it and apply to your affected area.
- Then, soak the same cloth in ice-cold water (add 3 drops of oil to cold water as well), and apply to your cramped muscle. Continue until you feel some relief.
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)