Baking soda is a household item that is great for a number of things. It can be used to make toothpaste, freshen your mouth, or as a facial scrub and body exfoliant (1). There’s no question, it’s very multipurpose, and any household would be hard pressed to go without it. But did you know it’s also great for cleaning your mattress?
After all, we sleep on our mattress every night, and simple usage could lead to a build-up of bacteria and germs that we would rather go without. We want where we sleep every night to be a safe haven where we can go and relax without worry so cleaning it regularly is a good idea.
But why should you trust baking soda to clean your mattress? In a study where the antibacterial activity of baking soda was assessed, it demonstrated significant ability to fight against Streptococcus mutans and killed substantial amounts of bacteria suspensions (2).
What You Need to Clean Your Mattress With Baking Soda
All you need to clean your bed is a sixteen-ounce box of baking soda, some essential oils to add a great smell, and a vacuum cleaner. Start by flipping or rotating the bed, which is smart to do on a regular basis anyway, to prevent sagging. Toss your bedding in the wash and fluff duvets or feather beds in the dryer. Open the box of baking soda and add ten to twenty drops of your favorite essential oil. Close the box and give it a good shake to distribute the essential oil and break up any large clumps. Essential oils will add a nice smell to your mattress, lavender is a good choice.
Getting the Job Done
Sprinkle the baking soda over your mattress; use the entire box. Then rub the baking soda mixture into the mattress, to really get the baking soda in deep. Let it sit for at least an hour while the baking soda and essential oils can do its job.
After an hour, vacuum the mattress, moving back and forth slowly to ensure all the baking soda has been removed. The mixture should have lifted dirt and residue while wicking away moisture. Remake your bed, and now you’re ready to sleep (3).
(1) Care2. 51 Fantastic uses for baking soda http://www.care2.com/greenliving/51-fantastic-uses-for-baking-soda.html Accessed: January 24, 2017.
(2) NCBI. Antibacterial activity of baking soda https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12017929 Published: 1997. Accessed: January 24, 2017.
(3) Pop sugar. Deep-clean your mattress for a better night’s sleep http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/How-Deep-Clean-Your-Mattress-29764178 Published: July 10, 2016. Accessed: January 24, 2017.
(4) Youtube. Why your mattress has more germs than you think – and how to clean it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDBIrXmkAGk Published: July 6, 2016. Accessed: January 24, 2017.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!