Nothing is more refreshing than a zesty fresh hit of citrus in the summertime! (Or, if you’re like us, any season.) Some people just love the idea of a slightly acidic dessert that isn’t overly sweet while for others, the flavor of key lime triggers waves of childhood memories. Whatever the case, everyone can enjoy this delicious take on a traditional key lime dessert!
Although traditional key lime pie isn’t the healthiest dessert, our key lime pound cake recipe is full of healthy ingredients that won’t leave you feeling super bloated or spike blood sugar like most other sweet treats do.
Key lime, a small citrus fruit that is more acidic and has a stronger aroma than other limes, actually has some surprising health benefits. They can include:
- Fighting infections thanks to its immunity-boosting vitamin C content
- Antibacterial properties found in the key lime’s juice
- Preventing peptic ulcers in the stomach lining or small intestine thanks to its antioxidant compounds (e.g., flavonoids)
- Helping regulate blood sugar levels thanks to the soluble fiber found in the key lime fruit
See? Healthy desserts are possible! A lot of people think sugar is bad, but this isn’t entirely true. What you do need to pay attention to, however, is the type of sugar you’re putting into your body! That’s why we use more healthy flours, natural sweeteners, and more in this recipe.
How to Make Key Lime Pound Cake
Key Lime Pound Cake Ingredients
- 2 cups coconut butter
- 3 tsp liquid stevia (or 1 tsp of powdered stevia extract)
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups of either almond, sorghum, or an all-purpose gluten-free blend flour
- ½ cup fresh key lime juice
- ¼ cup coconut milk (or nut milk of your choice)
- 4 tsp minced key lime zest
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°, use a non-stick spray or coconut oil to coat 10-inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the coconut butter until fluffy. Add in stevia and mix again until smooth.
- Add in one egg at a time, blend until yolk is not visible.
- In a separate smaller bowl, stir the key lime juice, coconut milk, key lime zest, and vanilla extract together. Add to original coconut butter, stevia, and egg mixture.
- Add coconut flour to mixture and mix well. Pour into loaf pan and tap it on counter to remove air bubbles.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes (or until cake tester comes out clean).
- When finished, let cool on a rack for half an hour (or more if you want it completely cool).
- If you can wait, this key lime pound cake is best after a day or two!
Key Lime Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- 3 tbsp coconut butter
- 4 tsp “confectioner’s sugar” mixture (blend ½ cup stevia with ¼ cup tsp potato starch until a fine powder, store remainder in a cool, dark place)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 3 tsp key lime zest
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a clean bowl, mix vegan cream cheese and coconut butter until fully combined.
- Add “confectioner’s sugar” and mix well until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in key lime juice, zest, and pure vanilla extract. Mix again until fully combined.
- Ice your key lime pound cake!
We hope you enjoyed this dairy-free, gluten-free key lime pound cake with zero refined sugar!