Most people who have enough money to do so will donate to charitable causes here and there. Few do what one of the world’s greatest boxers of all time has done. Manny Pacquiao builds homes for the poor with the money from his winnings, bringing hope to an entire community.
Manny Pacquiao Builds Homes for the Poor
Back in 2016, using the $1.5 million he earned after his big fight against Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao built 1000 homes for people living in poverty in the Philippines. (1, 2) What would propel him to use the money in such a selfless manner? Simple: he knows how these people are feeling because he used to live just like them.
From Poverty to Boxing Champion
Pacquiao and his six siblings were raised only by their mom and grew up as poor as you can imagine. They lived in a cardboard shack in the Sarangani province of the Philippines where some days all they had was water to drink. (1)
He left home as a young teenager in an attempt to support his family. He lived on the streets of Manila while he tried to earn a living boxing. Now known to be one of the greatest boxers of all-time, he is using his wealth and fame to support the people who need it the most. (1, 2)
“I feel what they’re feeling because I’ve been there,” he told USA TODAY Sports in the past. “I’ve slept in the street. That was my life before. So hard. That’s why I feel what they’re feeling right now.” (1)
Now, he is not just a fighting champion, but he is also a senator in the Philippines. He enjoys his sport and entertaining people, however, his work in the senate empowers him to make the lives of the citizens of his home country better.
“In the Senate, the fight is for improving the quality of life of the Philippine citizens. Being a senator is inspiring work.” (1)
He spent over $2 million purchasing land and building homes that he gave away to the poor and homeless, knowing that giving back is not just something he can do, but something he should. (1, 2)
“As I went around my country, I realized there were so many people who need help, who look up to me for inspiration,” he said. “And because of their trust and confidence, I now represent my people’s interests as a senator.” (2)
Not His First Charitable Work
This huge project is not Pacquiao’s first time giving back to the less fortunate. He is known for giving away money and food regularly to the Philippino people.
“He sits in front of his house giving money away to people; they go for blocks. I’ve seen it. Food and money. Food and money. He believes that’s part of the higher purpose, because once he gives it away, he believes God will replenish it.” his promoter Bob Arum said back in 2010. (1)
Of course, Manny Pacquiao isn’t the only celebrity with a big heart to match the size of their wallet. Other celebrities have also donated plenty to charitable causes.
Each of these celebrities has used their power, influence, and money to help those in need.
- Amal and George Clooney: All of the money that Hello Magazine paid for their wedding photos was donated to a variety of charitable organizations. They also started the Clooney Foundation for Justice, where they have helped to put over 3000 Syrian refugee children in Lebanon through school. (3)
- Rory Mcllroy: The golfer from Northern Ireland donated $1.24 million in 2015, including all of his winnings from the Dubai Duty-Free Irish Open, to charity. He has continued to donate millions and has founded the Rory Foundation which regularly donates to kids’ charities. (3)
- Taylor Swift: This singer-songwriter has donated millions of dollars to music education, Tennessee wildfire relief, Louisiana flood victims and food banks, and elephant conservation funds. (3) She is also known for helping out her fans and even once tipped a waitress $500 on an $800 bill. (4)
- George Lucas: The famous Star Wars director sold his company, Lucasfilm, to Disney in 2012 for $3.71 billion. Rather than keep it for himself, however, he donated the entire sum to charity. (3)
- John Cena: This tough-looking WWE fighter has granted over 500 wishes with the Make A Wish Foundation and is a big supporter of the Susan G. Komen breast cancer charity. (3)
- J.K. Rowling: The first-ever author to land a spot on Forbes list of billionaires promptly took herself off the list by donating $166 million to charity. (3)
These are just a few examples of celebrities using their wealth to help those in need. We can only hope that other wealthy people will follow their example and work to improve the lives of people all over the world with the wealth that they have been blessed with.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes