For centuries, back pain has been a common ailment among people both young and old. Unfortunately, many people have learned to live with and through it. However, anyone who has experienced the debilitating pain of sciatica knows it is no joke.
The thing with sciatica pain however, is that it can take a longer than desired amount of time to truly fix the problem. But, sometimes you just need fast relief, so here’s one to keep handy.
Epsom Salt and Apple Cider Vinegar Foot Soak
The recipe we’re about to share is one of the more popular natural remedies for sciatica pain relief. To try making it yourself, all you need is:
- A bucket or basin big enough to place your feet in
- 10 liters of warm to hot water
- 1 liter of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of Epsom salt
Foot Soak Instructions
- Pour the apple cider vinegar into the bucket, followed by the Epsom salt
- Fill the bucket with warm to hot water
- Stir the water to dissolve Epsom salt and mix in the ACV
- Put your feet in the bucket and keep them there for approximately 30 minutes
- When you take out your feet, rinse them and wrap them in something warm (e.g., towel, sheet, or blanket)
- When you wake up, keep them warm by wearing socks and slippers
- Repeat as you see fit
How Effective is This Foot Soak?
According to anecdotal reports online, the Epsom salt and ACV foot soak has worked wonders. But let’s explore what might make it so effective. Remember: it’s important to realize this natural remedy is for pain relief and does not fix the real issue at hand.
This versatile ingredient is used by many for relaxation. When Epsom salt dissolves in water, it breaks down into magnesium and sulfate, the first of which is known to relax nerves. Ideally, when you soak your feet or legs in the foot bath above, your skin absorbs the relaxing Epsom salts which helps to relax pinched nerves, and soothe stiff muscles and joints as well.
Apple Cider Vinegar
In various foot soak recipes you find online, apple cider vinegar is often a popular welcome addition. However, we are not sure if ACV actually helps with sciatica pain to the same degree Epsom salts can. It may have anti-inflammatory and circulation-boosting benefits, but results are often seen after consuming ACV rather than by external use. But since apple cider vinegar is an antifungal ingredient, this foot soak can still help with removing odor thanks to its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Some Long-Term Ways to Get Sciatica Pain Relief
If this Epsom salt and ACV foot soak works for you, fantastic! Soaking your feet in this mixture regularly may bring you some relief. But for more of a long-term solution, the following strategies are recommended:
- Visit a medical professional who can perform physical therapy and set you up with an exercise routine that helps improve posture and take pressure off your sciatic nerve.
- Inactivity can lead to inflammation which can make sciatic pain worse, so making sure you get daily physical activity can keep inflammation at bay.
- If you can afford to, take some time for limited bed rest. Usually three days off your feet is a huge relief on your sciatic nerve and it’s especially effective if you sleep on a firm mattress on the floor.
- Applying both hot and cold packs to your lower back a few times a day for several minutes. But for the best results, start with cold packs then switch to hot packs.
- Explore alternative therapies. These include things like yoga, chiropractic work, acupuncture, and more. These things can help different people to different extents, so it may require some patience and exploration. But don’t be afraid to ask your medical professional what they think of more natural approaches to healing your sciatic pain.
- Build a repertoire of lower-back stretches for temporary but consistent relief.
Overall, a real cure for sciatic pain is best met with safe and proper exercises, physiotherapy, and stretching. But for more immediate short-term pain relief, natural remedies such as the epsom salt foot soak may be able to help.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!