Age is just a number – while this has certainly proven to be true, feeling young and looking the part are two different things, and the fine lines, wrinkles, gray hair, and sagging skin can have a real impact on how we perceive ourselves as we get older.
Many of us try countless creams and procedures and spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on anti-aging products that never seem to work. Thankfully, as we begin to understand aging better and what causes the changes in our appearance, there are preventative measures, lifestyle changes, and natural treatments coming out that do help.
What Causes Wrinkles?
Before you start shopping around for anti-aging products, it’s important that you understand what actually causes wrinkles in the first place. If you understand what’s happening behind the scenes of your skin, you’ll be better able to prevent aging and not be duped by a convincing sales rep at a drugstore that their cream works. (1, 2, 3)
The Science of Aging Skin
As you age, your skin naturally becomes less elastic and more fragile. This is due to decreased production of collagen, a protein which forms your skin’s structure, and elastin, which provides flexibility (aka the ability to ‘bounce back’). There is also a decrease in the fat in the deeper layers of the skin, and the natural oils that provide hydration. This decreased production causes the skin to become dry, thinner, and loose, leading to saggy, wrinkly skin. (1, 2, 3)
In reality, however, these natural, biological factors that lead to skin aging account for only a small amount of what actually causes us to look older. Our lifestyle and environmental factors are what speed up the natural aging process and are the reason that some of us look older than others, even if they aren’t.(1, 2, 3)
Factors that Cause Wrinkles On Your Chest
The factors below can also affect your neck and face. (Just make some simple facial expressions and you’ll notice the skin on your neck and even chest be affected!)
Get your Free copy of The Complete Ketogenic Diet For Beginners
Learn how you can lose weight and keep it off while eating your favourite foods like Pizza & Mac and cheese!
Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays is the biggest factor that affects how quickly our skin ages. UV rays break down the collagen and elastin fibers deep in the dermis layer of our skin. This lack of connective tissue support decreases the strength and flexibility of the skin, causing it to sag and wrinkle. The sun can also cause sun spots and other discoloration associated with aging.(1, 2, 3)
Your Best Defense: Sunscreen and protective clothing! While we do need a certain amount of sun exposure to meet our vitamin D requirements each day, make sure you protect yourself from overexposure by wearing sunscreen, wide-brimmed hats, and protective clothing like higher-cut shirts. (1, 2, 3)
Though scientists aren’t entirely sure on the mechanism, smoking has been shown to accelerate the aging process, especially in the skin. The current thought is that smoking impacts blood supply to the skin, causing it to look old and dull. Smoking also tends to deplete the body of important nutrients, many of which are important for skin health. (1, 2, 3)
Your Best Defense: Plain and simple, don’t smoke and don’t spend time around people who do. If you think a facial skin looks wrinkly, you can imagine what the skin you can’t see looks like after years of this unhealthy habit.
Repeated Facial Expressions
It sounds counter-intuitive, but what you do above your shirt collar affects what’s below it, too. If you were to never move your face, never smile or frown, chances are you’d have fewer wrinkles! This is because when we repeat certain facial expressions over and over again, such as squinting or smiling, a groove forms beneath the skin’s surface. As the elastin fibers and our skin’s flexibility decrease over time, our skin can’t spring back into place and fine lines and creases develop. And, before you know it, you’ve got wrinkles starting at your forehead and running down past your chest. (1, 2, 3)
Your Best Defense: You can’t go through life expressionless, however, you can avoid things like squinting by wearing sunglasses, reading glasses, or wearing your contacts. (1, 2, 3) To get rid of wrinkles on the chest, you can also use the same homemade face masks, but on your chest!
Can You Reverse Aging and Remove Chest Wrinkles?
Yes, and no. You can prevent it somewhat, you can slow it down, and you can reduce fine lines and wrinkles to a certain extent. But at the end of the day, we all age and if you live long enough, you will begin to look the part!
That being said, there are various steps you can take to have incredible, glowing skin at any age. The first and most important step you want to take is in your lifestyle choices: (1, 2, 3)
- Eat a healthy diet with lots of vegetables and some fruits, especially the green and orange ones.
- Eat plenty of healthy fats like avocado, nuts, and olive oil.
- Stay hydrated by drinking lots of clean, filtered water.
- Exercise! Regular exercise keeps the blood flowing and your body functioning optimally, plus sweating is one of the body’s ways of detoxing your skin and insides.
- Get your beauty sleep. Regeneration happens when we sleep, which is crucial for slowing down aging.
- Decrease sugar and alcohol intake. Alcohol is dehydrating, and more studies come out regularly about the negative impact that sugar has on our health, including that of our skin.
- Try sleeping on your back instead of on your sides! “Sleep line” are caused by years of repetitive sleep positions that can cause certain lines – especially along your chest – to form.
Conventional Wrinkle Treatments
There are many prescriptions, over the counter, and even surgical treatments for wrinkles and they all vary in their effectiveness and risk for side effects. These include:
- Prescription retinoid and over-the-counter wrinkle creams
- Chemical Peel
- Dermabrasion and Microdermabrasion
- Botox (it’s not just for the face!)
- Soft tissue fillers
The effectiveness of each of these treatments varies from minimal improvements in the case of most store-bought wrinkle creams, to effective but temporary, as is the case with many of the surgical and chemical procedures. They are all extremely expensive, and come with side effects such as scarring, redness, discoloration, and can take anywhere from weeks to even months to heal from.
Natural Solutions to Aging Skin
As noted above, many conventional treatments can be effective however come with side-effects or are expensive. A more recommended approach is to first and foremost, build the lifestyle habits that support better skin, protect yourself in the sun and avoid smoking.
In combination with these strategies, below are some excellent natural topical remedies you can use that are high in skin-loving nutrition and help diminish and prevent wrinkles. Just massage them into your skin or apply-rinse-and-repeat!
- Olive oil: Olive oil contains protein, minerals, and vitamins that help soften and nourish the skin. It preserves the elasticity of the skin and makes it more resilient, decreasing and preventing fine lines and wrinkles that form along your chest. (8)
- Jojoba Oil: This essential oil contains vitamin E, B complex vitamins, silicon, chromium, copper, and zinc, all which nourish the skin and help it heal from damage. The texture of jojoba oil is also very similar to that of sebum, your skin’s natural oils. As this decreases as you age, jojoba oil replaces sebum keeping your skin hydrated and retaining its dewy, youthful appearance. It also is high in antioxidants and stimulates collagen synthesis, improving and decreasing wrinkles. (9)
Coconut oil: Coconut oil is highly moisturizing and contains lauric acid, which is a useful antifungal and antibacterial. Coconut oil helps aid the process of skin healing and hydrates the skin, helping to heal and prevent the marks, scars, and wrinkles associated with aging. (10)
Argan oil: Argan oil is a powerful anti-aging essential oil thanks to its high concentrations of vitamin A, E, antioxidants, Omega-6 Fatty Acids, and linoleic acid. THe tocopherol from the vitamin E also helps to boost cell production in the skin. When used on your chest, it moisturizes and reduces inflammation, leading to a healthy, younger-looking, and tighter skin. (11)
Evening primrose oil: This essential oil is high in omega-6 fatty acids, which help the skin to maintain its structure and resilience and reduce age-related water loss in the skin. It also contains antioxidants, which help reduce inflammation and therefore skin roughness and fine lines that start appearing along your chest in in your 40s. (12)
- Raw Hawaiian Honey:. Beyond the nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are found in raw honey, the flowers unique to Hawaii have provided the honey with a special property that allows it to stimulate collagen production. (4)
- Pure Beeswax: Because of its consistency, some people don’t like using beeswax on their face which makes it a perfect alternative for chest wrinkles. Beeswax contains natural fatty acids that hydrate and smooth the skin, as well as its antibiotic and healing properties to restore your skin’s natural youthfulness. (5)
- Royal Jelly: Royal jelly is a vital part of bee nutrition, and is critical for the growth of new larvae as well as the queen bee. It contains amino acids and minerals for cellular protection. For human skin, this provides protective measures against the natural aging factors previously mentioned. (6)
- Propolis: This is a bee by-product with natural anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties also known as “bee glue.” It has been used since ancient times to treat abscesses, heal wounds, and other skin conditions. These properties help to keep the skin fresh and rejuvenated. (7)
Start implementing these into your daily beauty or anti-aging routine and the wrinkles on your chest should become less and less visible! Those are only the external benefits never mind the internal ones!
How to Use These Anti-Wrinkle Remedies
You can use these individually on your skin, or ideally look for products that contain these ingredients. Finding natural products or remedies that include any or all of these ingredients will help work to collagen and elastin fibers to the skin, reduce scars and age spots, and hydrate to keep the skin looking bright and fresh.
Remember, aging is a natural, beautiful part of life, but there are plenty of proactive and preventative measures you can take to remain as youthful on the outside as you feel on the inside. Share this article to educate your friends and family on the science of wrinkles and how they too can have gorgeous, glowing skin at any age.
(1) Wrinkles. (2016, November 10). Retrieved August 09, 2017, from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/wrinkles/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20265780
(2) Why does skin wrinkle with age? What is the best way to slow or prevent this process? (n.d.). Retrieved August 09, 2017, from https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-skin-wrinkle-wit/
(3) Bouchez, C. (n.d.). 23 Ways to Reduce Wrinkles. Retrieved August 09, 2017, from http://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/23-ways-to-reduce-wrinkles#1
(4) Axe, D. J. (2017, June 13). Raw Honey: Get More Energy (Just Like Ancient Greek Athletes Did!). Retrieved August 09, 2017, from https://draxe.com/the-many-health-benefits-of-raw-honey/
(5) Taylor, G. (2013, October 31). Can Beeswax Benefit the Skin? Retrieved August 09, 2017, from http://www.livestrong.com/article/192009-skin-benefits-of-beeswax/
(6) ROYAL JELLY: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings. (n.d.). Retrieved August 09, 2017, from http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-503-royal%20jelly.aspx?activeingredientid=503
(7) PROPOLIS: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings. (n.d.). Retrieved August 09, 2017, from http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-390-propolis.aspx?activeingredientid=390&
(8) Dorling, S. (2017, July 18). Olive Oil for Anti-Aging. Retrieved August 09, 2017, from http://www.livestrong.com/article/355077-olive-oil-for-anti-aging/
(9) Boldt, E. (2017, July 21). Top Anti-Aging Essential Oils. Retrieved August 09, 2017, from https://draxe.com/anti-aging-essential-oils/
(10) Lawson, M. (2015, May 03). Coconut Oil for Wrinkles. Retrieved August 09, 2017, from http://www.livestrong.com/article/293312-coconut-oil-for-wrinkles/
(11) Boldt, E. (2017, August 01). Top 12 Argan Oil Benefits for Skin & Hair. Retrieved August 09, 2017, from https://draxe.com/argan-oil-benefits-skin-hair/
(12)What is it: Evening Primrose Oil – Truth In Aging. (n.d.). Retrieved August 09, 2017, from https://www.truthinaging.com/review/what-is-it-evening-primrose-oil
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 76 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel....all while you enjoy your favourite foods like pizza!!!!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!