The most unusual breakfast companions, and yet they are the cutest.
A guy from Pennsylvania has melted hearts all over the world after building the cutest picnic table for a squirrel in his back yard . While socially isolating due to the coronavirus pandemic, Rick Kalinowski, 43, from Bryn Mawr, decided it was time to give his little friends a permanent place in his home. Kalinowski has always been a fan of the large-tailed rodents and they are frequent guests in his back yard.
Squirrels are often very shy and tend not to stick around open spaces. With that in mind, Kalinowski found a way to keep them happy and unbothered. Using pieces of wood he found around his house, he crafted an adorable picnic table and nailed it to the top of the fence facing his living room window.
“I wake up at sunrise and have done for years, just to feed the squirrels and fill the bird feeders,” he said to Caters News . “I make my coffee, put on the morning news and watch everyone eat.”
Kalinowski loves his little huge-tailed friends so dearly that he often puts out a ‘buffet’ for them.
“I buy a variety of nuts and seeds for the squirrels along with fresh-cut fruit; it brings me happiness especially during these uncertain times,” he said. “The morning I made the video, the squirrels just looked so happy and cute eating.”
Adding cheer in scary times
Kalinowski’s squirrel table immediately went viral online and has brought millions of people so much joy and cheer. While the squirrels are not particularly interested in leaving tips for their lovely meals, they pay in a better form – making people happy.
“I really believe they love it. I appreciate them and they appreciate me,” Kalinowski told The Dodo.
This picnic table might just what squirrel lovers have been looking for. After all, they deserve a chance to give their furry crushes a little extra attention. Who knows it might encourage these shy buggers to stick around a little longer.
“I think a lot of people love squirrels and the picnic table is cute for a photo opportunity,” he added. “I get about four to six squirrels that regularly visit me and I’m always taking pictures of them.”
People online are currently raving about the squirrel table and it’s even become a trend now. They’ve been in such demand that Kalinwoski has begun selling hand-crafted miniature tables on Etsy and has made 774 sales so far. Some others are making the tables themselves as a pastime to kill boredom.
A few tweets:
- Stephen Messenger. Guy Builds An Adorably Tiny Picnic Table For Squirrels In His Yard. The Dodo. https://www.thedodo.com/in-the-wild/guy-builds-tiny-picnic-table-for-squirrels. Retrieved 06-04-2020
- Hot new hobby? Man builds a mini PICNIC TABLE for squirrels to eat at in his yard – and the heartwarming images inspire others to take on the quirky project while quarantined. Mail Online. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8177779/People-building-picnic-tables-SQUIRRELS-quarantine.html. Retrieved 06-04-2020
- Dr. Jockers. Coronavirus: Symptoms, Prevention & Natural Options. The Hearty Soul. https://theheartysoul.com/coronavirus-symptoms-prevention-natural-options/. Retrieved 06-04-2020
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes