These are scary times we live in and the state of the world right now has left millions of economically vulnerable people in even worse conditions. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many businesses have had to shut down, and ultimately, millions of people have been put out of work. While some countries such as the U.S., U.K., Germany, Spain, and Canada have implemented stimulus payments to ease the hardships, no amount of compensation could really be enough to replace a steady stream of income.
“Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see,” – Mark Twain
The worst-hit are the unsheltered populations who are, to some degree, dependent on social infrastructures and the kindness of others to survive. Since over a third of the world is under some form of lockdown, it’s saddening to imagine how millions are expected to cope.
If there was ever a time to be kind and compassionate to others, it is now. A wonderful man from Watertown New York, on April 14, put out a substantial amount of groceries on his front lawn for anyone to just “to take what they need .”
With the help of his friends, Trevor Phillips set up large tables filled with canned food, oranges, fruit juice, cereals, eggs, soda, pet food, baby food, toiletries, and vegetables. He went online to Facebook to tell people who may be in need to come along with their own boxes and bags if they are close to his location.
“Come help yourself. 223 Schley Drive. Bring your own bags or boxes to fill if you can. Please take what you need but understand that there are others in need too. Pet food and baby food are available. If you are looking to donate food, feel free to drop off today only 4/14. Thank you to my elves Josh Bedwell and Matt Dawley for the help setting up. Please share away,” he wrote.
This is what the world needs right now. Kindness, love, and compassion for one another. Together, we’ll make it through this.
Other random acts of kindness during this crisis
The heroes of the battle are the frontline medical workers and essential service providers who do not get to be home with their families to shelter-in-place. Essential services are those whose interruption would endanger the life, health, and safety of the population. Although it varies according to country, some of the essential service providers listed in this pandemic are all health care workers, law enforcement, public safety, first responders, transportation and delivery, food services, justice officials, financial workers, energy, water and other utility staff, ICT workers, and a few others.
They are all risking their lives to keep the world going and maintain order. The world has been extremely appreciative of these incredible people sacrificing their own safety to continue serving the populace.
It’s sad how delivery truck drivers are some of the most endangered and yet, they lack the basic supplies needed for survival. They deliver truckloads of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, food items, and more to people’s homes and yet their trucks and homes lack these essential items.
Thankfully, there people out there who understand the trials these drivers go through. Sonny Singh, the owner of Hogzilla BBQ in Battle Creek, Michigan, has been handing out care packages to dozens of delivery drivers in the area since March . Speaking to WWMT, Singh said a lot of truck drivers solicited for help via radio and he was inspired to help as many as he could. His care package includes fruit cups, trail mix, protein bars, and other healthy foods, water, gloves, and hand sanitizer bottles whenever a supply is available. He has been visiting various trucker stands and shops to personally deliver the items, free of charge.
“There’s not even talk about profit right now, we don’t even know if that’s going to come this year now,” Singh said.
Last month in April, The Fry Guy Food Truck in Tekonsha, Michigan began serving free food to truck drivers whenever they come around . According to the owner, John Heine, trucker shops are also closed along with other businesses and this has made it difficult for drivers to catch a quick meal between runs. With the help of family, friends, and community members, the food truck raised almost $1,200 in donations to pay for the truckers’ meals.
“Honestly, if it wasn’t for all of the truck drivers, we absolutely couldn’t do what we do. We need them more than they need us,” The Fry Guy manager, Tonya Kilgore said.
Now is the time to pay it forward.
Keep Reading: The Workers Who Face the Greatest Coronavirus Risk
- Sweet Stories. Man leaves fresh groceries on front lawn and tells everyone on Facebook ‘take what you need’. Sweet Buffalo. https://sweetbuffalo716.com/man-leaves-fresh-groceries-on-front-lawn-and-tells-everyone-on-facebook-take-what-you-need/. Retrieved 04-05-2020
- Battle Creek business gives care packages to truckers in need of food, hand sanitizer. WWMT. https://wwmt.com/news/local/battle-creek-business-gives-care-packages-to-truckers-in-need-of-food-hand-sanitizer. Retrieved 04-05-2020
- Gabriel Balderramas. Homer food truck gives back to truck drivers in Tekonsha. WWMT. https://wwmt.com/news/local/homer-food-truck-gives-back-to-truck-drivers-in-tekonsha. Retrieved 04-05-2020
- Dr. Jockers. Coronavirus: Symptoms, Prevention & Natural Option. The Hearty Soul. https://theheartysoul.com/coronavirus-symptoms-prevention-natural-options/. Retrieved 04-05-2020
- Which countries have applied measures like stimulus checks and how much? AS. https://en.as.com/en/2020/04/16/other_sports/1587074127_029119.html. Retrieved 04-05-2020
- Sophia Waterfield. A LIST OF ESSENTIAL WORKERS THAT WE SHOULD THANK AND SUPPORT DURING THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC. News Week. https://www.newsweek.com/list-essential-workers-that-we-should-thank-support-during-coronavirus-pandemic-1495750. Retrieved 04-05-2020
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes