Nature is an awe-inspiring force, as are the creatures in it. Many photography competitions work to capture these stunning moments and show how magnificent our world really is. The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards take another approach. Instead of focusing on how breath-taking, fearsome, or unreal nature is, they find the humanity in it.
The competition selects finalists that are photographers from all over the world, and their photos are just as diverse. The awards were founded by Paul Joynson-Hicks and Tom Sullam and supported by wildlife conservation nonprofit The Born Free Foundation. The beauty of nature’s animals is a byproduct; the main event is ridiculousness. This is truly a new and hilariously improved way of raising awareness for conservation
These photos are often anthropomorphic, relating very human emotions or interactions. Don’t forget to read the title for each piece; some of these are really laugh-out-loud funny!
The winners of the competition will be announced on October 22. If you have a favorite from the ones we’ve chosen, you can vote for it on their website.
32 Hilarious Photos from the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards
1. ‘Wait up Mommy, look what I got for you!’ by Kunal Gupta
The sheer and utter delight on these elephants’ faces are absolutely priceless. And the baby holding the blossoms in its trunk is just too cute to handle.
2. ‘Boredom’ by Marcus Westberg
This majestic gorilla has very a real emotion on its face: boredom, as so named. Extremely relatable.
3. ‘Terry the Turtle flipping the bird’ by Mark Fitzpatrick
Here we see another celebrity annoyed by the paparazzi. We’ll forgive the attitude though because that sea turtle is just magnificent.
4. ‘I am the champion’ by the Ramesh Letchmanan
The very picture of triumph is in this cute little guy.
5. ‘I’ve got you this time!’ by Olin Rogers
Sneak attack! This might be just me, but I see Baby Simba trying to tackle Baby Nala.
6. ‘Fun for all ages’ by Thomas Vijayan
Monkey tails are usually used to help keep balance and hang from branches. In this case, they also make awesome swings!
7. ‘I had to stay late at work’ by Luis Burgue
Once you read the title, a hilarious conversation comes to mind between these two animals.
8. ‘No penguins under here!” by Pearl Kasparian
The thug life chose this little guy.
9. ‘Laughing hippo’ by Manoj Shah
The water looks beautiful. No wonder these guys look so happy!
10. ‘Socially uninhibited’ by Martin Grace Kendal
He thought no one would notice, but the photographer was right behind him!
11. ‘Faceplant’ by Tim Hearn
“Mo-ooom! Are we there yet?”
12. ‘Peekaboo’ by Jagdeep Rajput
Tigers are such stunning creatures, but at heart, they are just large kittens.
13. ‘Having a laugh’ by Ken Crossan
This seal has such an adorably contagious smile!
14. ‘I think this tire’s gonna be flat’ by Kat Kotzian
I think these baby bears are committing a heist… With those cute faces, I’ll allow it.
15. ‘Macaque striking a pose’ by Luis Marti
Some people, or monkeys, are just born models. This is definitely one of them!
16. ‘Just chillin’ by Jill Neff
“I know this position looks awkward, but trust me, it’s super comfortable/”
17. ‘Covid hair!” by Gail Bisson
“I don’t need a haircut. You need a haircut!”
18. ‘Like mother like daughter’ by Jagdeep Rajput
This is such a sweet photo! Bring on all the ‘aw’s.
19. ‘It’s a mocking bird!’ by Sally Lloyd-Jones
He’s a rebel just for kick’s sake.
20. ‘It’s the last day of school holidays’ by Max Teo
This precious otter represents every child going back to school this past September.
21. ‘Almost time to get up’ by Charlie Davidson
“Five more minutes!”
22. ‘Seriously, would you share some?’ by Krisztina Scheeff
“Quit hogging all the fish, bud!”
23. ‘The inside joke’ by Femke Van Willigen
This looks like another case of lockdown hair-dos.
24. ‘Sun salutation’ by Sue Hollis
Mentally, I am here.
25. ‘Crashing into the picture’ by Brigittee Alcalay-Marcon
This photo-bomber is always welcome in my pics!
26. ‘Monkey business’ by Megan Lorenz
No comment on this one…
27. ‘Quiet, please…’ by Mike Lessel
I’d hire this stunning bird to be a librarian anyday.
28. ‘Spreading the wildlife gossip’ by Bernhard Esterer
“…And would you believe that mane?”
29. ‘That race’ by Yevhen Samuchenko
I’d watch this version of Little Rascals! The race scene would be even more adorable with this little cuties.
30. ‘We all have that friend’ by Yarin Klein
If you don’t have that friend, then you are that friend. Also, both bears are just so precious!
31. ‘Social distance, please!’ Petr Sochman
“Six feet away! This branch is my quarantine now. Go find your own!”
32. ‘Smiley’ by Arthur Telle
This fish looks so friendly!
 “Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2020 finalists revealed.” BBC. September 13, 2020
 “Gallery of Winners and Finalists 2020 Finalists.” The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards.