When you were little, was your favorite time of the year Christmas? (We’re sure it still is!) There is something simply magical about the winter holiday season.
From wrapping gifts and singing Christmas carols to ice skating and drinking hot cocoa, there is one tradition that lives on in many homes across North America.
Baking family favorite sugar cookies!
Did you know that the sugar cookie as we know it today dates all the way back to the 1700’s?
Protestant settlers in the Nazareth colony of Pennsylvania originally created the sugar cookie. However, the settlers would bake sugar cookies in the shape of the state’s symbol – a keystone. (1)
Now, the recipe were going to share with you is healthy… for a sugar cookie. But make no mistake – they are called sugar cookies for a reason.
3-Ingredient Sugar Cookies Recipe
Gluten-Free, Processed Sugar-Free, and Vegan (Optional)
- Clean surface
- Mixing bowl (and mixer or strong whisk)
- Wax paper
- Saran wrap
- Baking sheet
- ¾ cup butter (grass-fed and organic, if possible)
- ½ cup superfine coconut palm sugar
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose gluten-free baking flour (2)
To make this recipe vegan, replace butter with the same amount of coconut oil. But if you want an authentic buttery flavor, look for a coconut oil that is naturally infused with butter flavoring. (3) Or, simply use your favorite vegan butter substitute.
To further reduce your sugar and/or calorie intake, try an all-natural 1:1 sugar substitute that uses monkfruit (4) or stevia.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter followed by sugar until light and fluffy
- Add in flour and mix until the 3-ingredient mixture looks crumby
- On a clean surface, pour out mixture and, with your hands, knead crumbs into dough
- Shape dough into a long cylinder or rectangular prism (depending on your preferred shape)
- Sprinkle sugar on a sheet of wax paper
- Roll dough to coat the outside in sugar
- Place sugar-coated cookie dough onto a piece of saran wrap and wrap it securely
- Refrigerate or freeze until firm (approx. 30 minutes)
- On a cutting board, unwrap sugar cookie dough, cut into one centimeter-thick slices
- Space pieces out on a baking sheet and bake at 325° Fahrenheit until lightly golden (approx. 20 minutes)
There you have it! 10 steps to delicious (and healthy) sugar cookies the whole family will love.
We suggest you make a double or even triple batch to package up for holiday gifts. Enjoy!
Make This Next: The World’s Best Vegan Chocolate Mousse Recipe
This recipe was adapted from Joyce Yvonna’s 3 Ingredient Cookie in 3 minutes recipe video.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes