Consistent knee pain afflicts many people at different stages of their lives. As we get older the likelihood of pain increases; life takes a serious toll on our joints.
Chief amongst the ailments that affect our knees is osteoarthritis. The condition now affects 52.5 million Americans, with the numbers increasing every year. This form of arthritis causes chronic pain issues that can last from dawn to dusk. Even simple tasks such as taking your dog for a walk or climbing the stairs can become excruciating.
With 62% of people over the age of 65 suffering with arthritis, many people assume that it is just a natural process and that there is little that can be done to prevent the pain that comes with it. However, there is a very simple exercise that you can do very easily at home, and you only need a chair and a hand towel.
The exercise works by easing the tightness between your bones and cartilage. The narrowing of the gap between the two is what causes the pain in the first place, as the friction that results from the bone and cartilage rubbing together wears down the latter.
It is an exercise that can be done quickly and regularly for anyone who suffers from knee pain. It doesn’t have to form part of a larger program and can be done in isolation on a daily basis to ease chronic issues.
How to Stretch a Painful Knee
- Sit down upright on your couch or a chair and roll your hand towel before folding it.
- Place the towel directly behind your knee, getting it as high up into the joint as is possible.
- Lift your leg and place your heel down on the edge of the couch or chair you are sat on.
- Squeeze the towel with your leg by contracting your hamstring and calf muscles for 10 seconds.
- Release the muscles in your leg.
- Repeat several times, before switching to your other leg.
By incorporating this exercise into your daily routine, you will see a vast improvement in your ability to use your knees without pain. Daily tasks will cease to be tortuous and before you know it your legs will feel ten years younger, giving you the confidence to move freely and enjoy the potential your body has.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes