It’s safe to say that smooth skin, easy hair removal, thicker lashes and fuller eye brows are on the wish list of most women. Unfortunately, not only are the conventional products often expensive, but they can also involve rubbing synthetic chemicals onto your skin. These chemicals then get absorbed into the bloodstream and have been linked to a wide range of health problems.
Thankfully, there are plenty of highly effective, natural alternatives to these hormone disrupting products that will save you time and money. The best part? You probably have most of these ingredients in your home already!
15 Natural Beauty Hacks
Check out these incredible natural beauty tricks that are so simple, you’ll wonder why you never knew of them sooner.
1. Potatoes for Gorgeous Armpits
When you think of beauty, armpits probably don’t come to mind first. However, for anyone who has discolorations or other issues with the sensitive skin found there, this is the trick for you. Potatoes contain enzymes and antioxidants that brighten and smooth the skin under your arms, as well as gently exfoliate your ‘pits delicate skin.
The simplest method is to cut 2 half-inch thick slices of a potato and massage each of your armpits with them for 3 minutes. Wait 30 minutes after massaging before rinsing with cool water and patting dry with a clean cloth. Repeat twice daily.
Check out this site for more underarm potato hacks.
2. Castor Oil + Vitamin E + Aloe for Thicker Lashes and Brows
Full eyebrows are back in style, and long, thick lashes have been coveted for generations. For a natural thickening solution, clean out an old mascara bottle and its wand. Fill half the bottle with vitamin E oil, a quarter with castor oil, and the final quarter with 100% pure aloe vera gel. Mix thoroughly and apply to your lashes and brows every night for a month. (Buy castor oil for C$9.70)
Our newest fat-burning dessert recipe book just released and we’ve reserved a free digital copy for you! Click the button and simply let me know where you want us to email it and you’ll have it in your inbox today…Grab my free copy
Why it helps: Castor oil contains Ricinoleic acid (omega 9 fatty acid), which has anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation restricts blood flow to the skin and therefore stunts hair growth. Vitamin E and Aloe are also healing for the skin, allowing hair to grow un-inhibited. (1)
3. Home Sugaring for Easy, Long-lasting Hair Removal
If you find shaving your legs multiple times a week a pain, then this is the trick for you! Sugaring is a fantastic option for at-home hair removal. It is less painful than waxing, won’t irritate your skin, and exfoliates as you remove the hair, meaning smoother skin and less ingrown hair. To make your sugar mixture, mix together:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup filtered water
Heat the mixture on low heat until it is golden in color, then allow the mixture to cool. Apply it to your legs in the opposite direction that the hair grows in, then flick off sharply and quickly (as per the video instructions), with your fingers keeping close to your skin.
4. Natural Sunburn Treatments
There are so many natural sunburn remedies out there, that there is no reason to purchase conventional ones from the drugstore. These two are favorites:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: What can’t ACV do? For this one, mix together equal parts apple cider vinegar and filtered water. Apply to the affected skin using a cotton swab or ball. ACV is a natural anti-inflammatory that will decrease the inflammation caused by the burn, as well as add nutrients to help speed up the skin’s natural healing process. (2)
- Aloe Vera Ice Cubes: Aloe vera is well known for its incredible scar and burn healing properties. For this remedy, blend the gel from 2 aloe vera leaves with a half cup of filtered water in your blender. Pour the mixture into ice cube trays and allow to freeze. Keep these on-hand, and if you or a family member gets a sunburn, apply the ice cube to the burn. The cooling nature of the ice cube will slow the burning and the aloe will help to heal the skin faster.
5. Turmeric + Coconut Oil for a Whiter Smile
Flash those pearly whites with confidence after using this simple turmeric coconut oil toothpaste. Mix 1/4 cup of extra virgin coconut oil with 2 tablespoons of organic turmeric powder, pour into a small mason jar and allow to harden. Use this anti-inflammatory, stain removing turmeric toothpaste instead of synthetic, store bought fluoride toothpastes.
6. Baking Soda + Vinegar for Cracked Heels
Our feet take a beating every day, especially the skin on our heels. Too easily they become dry and cracked, especially as we age, a look that is undesirable especially when in sandals or lounging by the pool! For natural exfoliation of your heels, combine:
- 2 cups warm filtered water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 cup vinegar
Soak your feet in this mixture for 10 to 20 minutes, then dry with a clean towel. Apply a natural moisturizing cream immediately after. Baking soda acts as a gentle mechanical exfoliant, and the acidic vinegar as a gentle natural chemical exfoliant.
7. Calming Moisturizing Lotion
Homemade body butters are easier to make than you might think and are much better for your skin and health. This calming moisturizing cream is especially useful for your feet and heels. Combine:
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup magnesium oil
- 3/4 cup cocoa butter
- 30 drops lavender oil
Put the cocoa butter in a glass jar and place it in a saucepan with water over low heat. Once the butter is melted, cool in the fridge for 30 minutes. Whip the butter with a stand mixer, then add in the remaining ingredients. Store in the jar in the fridge for up to 90 days.
Why it works: Magnesium is calming and helps to relax muscles, cocoa butter and avocado oil are deep moisturizers, and lavender also provides a calming, relaxing scent.
8. Homemade Pore Strip for Blackheads
Store bought pore strips are expensive and don’t always work as well as they should. Instead, make your own at home! Combine:
- 1 teaspoon warm filtered water
- 1 tablespoon unbleached organic flour
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
Dip a cotton pad or clean cloth into the mixture and apply to the affected area. Remove after 10-15 minutes.
9. For Greasy Hair
Some of us have more active oil glands on our scalp than others, causing hair to become greasy, fast. To solve this problem, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of sea salt or baking soda to your favorite natural shampoo for roots that stay cleaner, longer. The salt/soda helps to absorb some of the excess oil without drying out your scalp.
10. Natural Shampoo
Conventional shampoos are some of the worst culprits for hiding dangerous chemicals that you rub directly into your scalp. Thankfully, making your own shampoo is easy, and there are various recipes to suit your specific hair needs. This homemade shampoo recipe is especially great for anyone battling dandruff, and the following recipe for those dealing with excessive hair loss:
- 1/2 cup liquid castile soap
- 2 tablespoons of 100% pure maple syrup
- 5-10 drops carrot seed essential oil
- 10 drops of castor oil
Combine all ingredients and massage the mixture into your scalp for two or three minutes before rinsing.
Why it works: Carrot oil is rich in vitamin A, E, and beta carotene, all which help to stimulate the growth of new cells and more hair. The carrot oil and castor oil also help to provide moisture to the scalp and increase sebum production, which promotes hair growth. Maple syrup is just there to increase the shiny quality of your hair. (3)
11. Used Coffee Grounds to “Perk Up” Dark Under Eye Circles
Use your morning cup of coffee to wake up your eyes as well as your mind! Combine 1 tablespoon of used coffee grounds with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Apply to the skin under your eyes and allow it to sit for fifteen minutes before rinsing off. Repeat 3-4 times each week.
12. Coconut Oil + Raw Honey for Stronger Nails
Brittle, weak nails that break all the time are incredibly annoying. This homemade nail strengthening remedy will allow your nails to grow longer and become more resistant to breaking. Combine equal parts coconut oil, raw honey, and lavender oil into an old, cleaned-out nail polish bottle. Using the nail polish brush, apply the mixture to your nails each night and allow to dry.
That being said, nail health is more dependant on what you eat (a diet high in protein, vitamins, and minerals) but this solution can supplement a healthy diet.
13. Turmeric Face Mask for Glowing Skin
Turmeric is a highly versatile ingredient for cosmetic and beauty products uses, but it can be especially useful for the skin because of its anti-inflammatory properties. This turmeric face mask is perfect for anyone suffering from acne, rosacea, eczema, or is simply looking for an anti-aging, anti-dark circle natural remedy! Combine:
- 1 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon raw, organic honey
- 1 teaspoon cow’s milk or plain yogurt
Combine the turmeric and honey, then slowly add the milk to ensure that the mixture is viscous enough so that it doesn’t drip off of your face (the turmeric will stain your clothes!). Apply evenly to your clean, makeup-free face, including under your eyes and neck. Leave on for 20 minutes, then gently rinse off with warm water. Gentle dab your face dry with a clean cloth (do not rub). Repeat once or twice a week.
14. Natural Face Mist
Enjoy spritzing your face mid-day to brighten up your complexion? Stop using synthetic mists and make your own. Combine one part aloe vera gel and 3 parts filtered water in a clean spray bottle. Keep in your purse to spritz on and wake up your complexion throughout your day.
Why it works: Aloe is a natural skin healer and decreases inflammation, redness, and can help reduce scarring. (4)
15. Exfoliating Scrubs
Why bother spending copious amounts of money on salt or sugar scrubs when they are so easy to make at home! Check out this list of DIY Sugar and Salt scrubs for your body and face. They help smooth and hydrate your skin, get rid of cellulite, wrinkles, acne, and more.
As you can tell, options for homemade, DIY all-natural beauty products are endless. There really is no reason why you can’t start replacing your store bought products with these natural versions.
Share this article with your friends and family so they, too can enjoy beautiful skin, teeth, nails, and hair without harsh chemicals.
- WOW – 3 Studies Reveal Castor Oil May Help Reverse Hair Loss. (2017, April 26). Retrieved August 15, 2017, from https://www.hairlossrevolution.com/castor-oil-benefits-for-hair/
- Sunburn Remedies. (n.d.). Retrieved August 15, 2017, from https://www.earthclinic.com/cures/sunburn.html
- Anderson, C. (2017, July 18). Are There Benefits of Carrot Oil for the Hair? Retrieved August 15, 2017, from http://www.livestrong.com/article/185945-what-are-the-benefits-of-carrot-oil-for-the-hair/
- How to use aloe vera for skin and hair: Know from a Dermatologist. (n.d.). Retrieved August 15, 2017, from https://www.dermatocare.com/blog/how-to-use-aloe-vera-for-skin-know-from-dermatologist
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes